All reviews wonderful suggestions plein air connecticut river valley host and hostess can't wait to go back gibson house susie workshop watercolor vt hosts summer retreat bradford sleep
Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

I had a lovely visit to the Gibson House as part of a three day watercolor plein air landscape workshop taught by Robert J. O’Brien. Marty and Susie went out of their way to make sure everyone was comfortable and well fed. The Lilac Room I stayed in was really unique, with hand painted walls and bathroom fixtures from the 1920s. The inn was built in 1850 and has lots of charm and beautiful pieces of art. The entrance hall has a gorgeous checkerboard painted floor and the breakfast room is lovely, with a porch view to the Connecticut River valley. Breakfasts were delicious and more than ample; nearby Bradford, VT has a first rate restaurant called Colchina Exit for dinner. The Wi-Fi was first rate and while there is no air-conditioning, it wasn’t needed at all. Nights are cool and it’s more than sufficient for a very comfortable night’s sleep to leave a window propped open. One night I heard a Great Horned owl calling. A wonderful stay with very interesting and accommodating hosts!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2018

My son and I stayed at Gibson House for three nights and we would not stay anywhere else! The Cohens go the extra mile in all areas including preparing a delicious hot breakfast and making sure our rooms are clean and comfortable. They are extremely knowledgeable about the area and made many wonderful suggestions of places to explore be it a covered bridge, local restaurant or swimming hole. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the house offer a view of the mountains
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

2nd time at this charming inn. Lovely And sweet to the well behaved children there.
We looked forward to the delicious egg strata all year, and our daughter loves exploring in the garden. We'll be back again next year!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2017

I have taught several photo workshops at the Gibson House and each one gets better and better as the Cohens always strive to accommodate us. The first year workshop attendees found that the internet was spotty in their rooms. When we returned for our second workshop the proprietor, Marty, had installed routers on all three floors of the Gibson House, providing perfect internet connections anywhere in the B&B. Also, during our first workshop we found that we were going to a mini-mart for coffee on our way to sunrise shootings. Marty and Susie put a Keurig machine with a wide selection of pods in the dining room and fresh cream in the fridge for us to make pre-dawn coffee before we headed out. Some of our workshop attendees are vegetarian or had special dietary restrictions. Susie would cook breakfasts that pleased them. We are often out past the usual breakfast time and the Cohens have always accommodated our photographically-based schedule.

The B&B, itself, is quaint and we make good use of it and the beautiful garden, as subjects or backgrounds for our photography. We have always enjoyed our visits to the Gibson House. Most of my attendees have returned more than once and that should tell you much.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2016

I needed a place to stay in the area due to family reasons. I live in Scotland now and hadn't been in the area for such a long time I was happy to take my brother's suggestion of Gibson House. Perfectly placed on a main road - but with no road noise discernible - we were met by two friendly ladies who showed us around the premise, discussed breakfast arrangements and even offered to help take bags upstairs. As we were on the top (3rd) floor, it would have been a good idea to have accepted; it's a long hike up the stairs!

The room faced west and we had a lovely evening watching the sundown. In the early morning I was treated to seeing a fox calmly check the long garden walk and disappear into the hedge before we went down to a delicious breakfast. The dining rooms and 'front room' were a real step-back to my childhood and visits to my great Auntie's parlor.
Bathroom & shower were brand new and spotless; bed & bedding clean and comfortable. Consider it an adventure! but see that the window over the door has now got a curtain as I was kept awake by the hall light shining thru. Sleep mask solved the problem. Also there are no restaurants within about a 10-ish mile radius so bring a picnic or eat before you arrive.

Room Tip: Top floor ensuite..but only if they have dimmed the hall light, as it shows thru the window over the door.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
gibsonhousebb, Owner at Gibson House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2016

We appreciate your review and are glad you enjoyed your stay!
Sorry that your hosts did not mention the four fine restaurants within five miles of us.
Your excellent suggestion of a curtain over the transom will be addressed with a new stained glass window. :)