“Great digs”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Memphis-style BBQ and Comfort Food Restaurant in Hanover, NH
Reviewed 10 August 2014

After checking out several places on Main Street, it was when I looked down a driveway past a gelato bar that I noticed a sign saying 3 Guys Basement BBQ. This will do!

Stepping down off the laneway into the basement transports you to a themed dining/bar space that has a variety of places to park your glutes and get stuck into meat and beer.

It seemed the dry-rub chicken wings were a bit of a go-to with the lunchtime college crowd surrounding us. Had there been another mouth or two at our table I would have ordered them, but instead we kept to the three dishes we'd set our gaze on. We both swooned over the grits sticks - golden fingers of crunchy fried goodness with hot and creamy innards. Buttermilk or maple syrup are the dipping options and for us it was the latter.

The burnt ends sammy is "Smoked daily! While it lasts!" - An excitable menu statement that sure got our attention. Must be good, right? Large chunks of meat overflow the small bread bun, half of which are decent and smoky. The other half was incredibly dry, way overcooked and very much like eating jerky. Something tells me it wasn't meant to be this way. Red beans and dirty rice come with it.

My show stopper burger was described as being "equal parts burger & bacon" - something that gave me the impression of a meat patty with bacon mixed through it. Now that's something I'd happily sink my teeth into. Instead, it's a delicious meat patty with charred onion, blue cheese dressing and several very chewy and burnt strips of bacon shooting in all directions. Kind of like a burger stuffed with long strips of chewy jerky - a bit of a challenge for anyone that wants to just pick it up and take a bite. The side of mac & cheese was not only enormous but mouth-burningly delicious.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Went here based on recommendations from this site. It did not disappoint.

We were warmly greeted by the manager as soon as we made our way in, and were seated promptly. Sophie came over quickly and took our orders, taking plenty of time to go over the local beers (with which I was unfamiliar).

The only downside was they were out of the two options I wanted to try (Brisket & Burnt ends). But I had the pulled pork instead and it was very good. I enjoyed the corn muffins as well.

Sophie took good care of us, as did Paul. If you get either of them you are in good hands.

If my son ends up going to school up here I'll be stoping in each time I drop him off!

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We ordered a mixed BBQ platter with chicken, pork and Burnt Ends. The chicken was just ok and the pulled pork was very good. But the Burnt Ends are truly fantastic. They erupt like a smokey volcano in your mouth. My daughters who said they were not hungry tried them and proceeded to eat every one on my plate.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We had the 12 hour brisket sandwich and crispy chicken BLT. served on Colatina rolls - my favorite! This was my first trip, my boyfriends 2nd. He hadn't stopped talking about the 12 hour brisket since his first trip. Portions were huge and the chicken was a very light crisp, not a heavy sandwich. The fries were good but tasted a bit too sweet. I think there might have been sugar sprinkled but they would be delicious without!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

3 Guys specializes in mediocre, expensive bbq. Only clueless, price insensitive consumers with non-discriminating palates could possibly enjoy eating at this place (perhaps they are trying to appeal to the “14 year old boy who receives an enormous weekly allowance from his parents” market segment?). The basement setting is appropriate for this place. It's dark and sort of smells a bit off. The service is slow. Food is average. Prices are high. I don't imagine it will survive.

1  Thank Bill M