“Maybe not a good place for a day time meal”
Review of 3 Guys Basement BBQ - CLOSED

3 Guys Basement BBQ
Price range: US$5 - US$18
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Memphis-style BBQ and Comfort Food Restaurant in Hanover, NH
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We visited here for lunch on a bright sunny day but perhaps that wasn't what this place was good for. The interior was mostly black and red, the floor was cement painted gray, and with the low ceiling and dark lighting made this basement feel like a dungeon. There were flat screen TVs on the walls showing golf and chalkboards with beer features written. It is more like a pub or a sports bar featuring BBQ. I can see crowds coming in for a happy hour or a late night drinking on a Saturday or something. OK if that's what it is....

I had a Brisket Rueben and my partner had a Pulled Pork sandwich, $12 and $11, and they come with one side of your choice. I chose French Fries and I must say they were piping hot, fresh out of the fryer and very good. They already had sweet & savory seasoning on them so no ketchup was necessary but it comes with homemade ketchup. However, the sandwich was rather small and had only a few slices of brisket and a sliver of slaw on it. Thin slices of bread was already falling apart. I do not espouse huge portion but when the "side" is bigger than the main, there is something wrong. I would have left hungry if it wasn't for the generous amount of French Fries. My partner said the same thing. He chose Baked Beans and it was good amount and was very tasty but his pulled pork sandwich was very small.

Having lived in the South, and having tried many BBQ places, (Corky's in Memphis was one of my favorites), I have never seen a BBQ sandwich with so little meat on it. But, this is not the South. The meat itself was tender and tasty enough and their home made sauces were tasty. So if you just get some meat and pour the sauce over it, with a few sides, for dinner or something, it is probably good.

Service: This depends on the server and there must be many, so this is only our one experience at the time, but he literally sounded like he was reading from a teleprompter, or perhaps a robot.

Again, night time would have been a different story and perhaps we were there at the wrong time....

Date of visit: July 2014

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We had very good food and service here. A good surprise. It was a very cool place to spend some time on a very hot day. Really liked the small a** corn muffins.

Date of visit: June 2014
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I had a late lunch/early supper (4pm) today 6/29/14. I had a Po Boy Oyster sandwich and my husband had a brisket sandwich. We both had baked beans -very very nice . I normally do not get sea food inland but thought - give it a chance. It was the best PO' Boy I ever had- even after getting them in the south frequently. The batter was crunchy and sweet , the oysters just melted in my mouth. The portion was very ample and the tartar sauce which I really never eat was excellent. My husband's brisket was tender and had an excellent smoke flavor to it. We thought the service excellent and were served very quickly. We rode our bikes on the north trail from Lebanon to Orange ( 30 miles) which was really wonderful. Definitely plan on making this a habit and tagging on a great dinner at 3 Guys.

Date of visit: June 2014
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We went to this place because we heard the burnt ends were great. After seating, we think they forgot we were there, as we didn't get any attention for 10 or 15 minutes. If the place had been busy, that would have been easy to understand, but it was 5 and things hadn't picked up. We tried to order the burnt ends, and we were told there were none available. Disappointing, and again, would have been understandable if it had been later in the evening. We ordered ribs instead, which were dry, not terribly tasty. Then we heard the table next to us order five orders of burnt ends, and voila, they got what they wanted. Curious way to treat customers. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either, and the service was slow and unattentive.

Date of visit: December 2013
1  Thank Miz S
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

4 out of 5 Cardiologists recommend you skip this place, but to heck with them. Perfectly cooked and well sided BBQ dishes make this underworld winner a mandatory stop. Well worth the search.

2  Thank RoanP