All reviews cookies new england epoch restaurant turn down service modern amenities conference room an older building front street chain hotels bed was comfortable small refrigerator sitting room first floor family wedding stayed for one night guest rooms hotel restaurant
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Great old time atmosphere with service to match. Room was quaint but well equipped for our needs. Front desk personnel were friendly and welcoming. Location was great for our purpose on this trip. Coming to Exeter is always a homecoming.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2018

Booked King size bed, very comfortable, room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The big surprise was the bathroom, I believe it was the largest bathroom we've ever stayed in.Comprised of three different areas, GREAT. I believe only available in end rooms

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2018

Loved Loved this Inn - build in the 1930's - ask for and received a 2 page history of the Inn from front desk staff member Cindy. The Inn is manned 24hr days. Full service bar/restaurant coffee available in the morning. Grounds were lovely. Lots of history - originally built to house visitor from The Exeter College. I loved walking through the surrounding neighborhood early in the morning. My husband jogs and found the area to his liking as well. The town itself was lovely. Spent the evening at the Sea Dog soaking up local beers and great conversation. Back to the Inn - as you would guess the room is not terribly large. We had a king corner suite that was comfy. In-suite bathroom was comfortable and cute with period black/white tile.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PeggySueToYou
Reviewed 7 July 2018

My choosing to return to the Exeter Inn for an upcoming birthday getaway is one of the strongest endorsements that I can give the place.

The preemptive praise for this visit is that Julie was so awesome regarding every aspect of that reservation (and was equally helpful regarding a hiccup that can happen at even the best of places my last trip) that I suspect that she is the same Julie with a history of being a cruise director. :-)

Travel writing being a increasingly regular feature on my review website that bears my name and these trips always being to boutique hotels or B & Bs increasingly is making me an expert on such places. The Exeter Inn excels where many comparable places fail.

The check-in area is very inviting, and the clerks provide the impression that their jobs are the best ones that they ever have had. The all-day beverages and scrumptious afternoon treats sometimes literally are icing on the cake. (Birthday boys deserve extra chocolate chip cookies.)

The hospitality extends to the housekeeperS. My requesting an extra laundry bag on seeing the cleaner in the hall ended with being offered a few to ensure having enough.

Further, my room was immaculate and had two complimentary bottles of water. The high-end amenities nicely displayed in the bathroom were another nice touch.

Having a comfortable sitting area and equally inviting bed further enhanced the trip.

The biggest benefit of the inn is that lack of the bait-and-switch that I have experienced at other historic inns in northern New England. Even the standard rooms seem clean and a good size. This is in contrast to other historic properties at which you book a room that would please any reasonable person and end up in a shabby broom closet.

Of course, reading Trip Advisor reviews and posts by witty travel writers helps avoid these pitfalls.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

I’m a repeat customer!!! I’ve stayed here with just my husband, and other times with whole family! I chose Exeter Inn this time because I’m alone (don’t need a pool for kids) and wanted a homelike feeling. I love it’s nearly on the PEA campus. I love the staff and especially my front desk friends who remember I’ve been here before! It’s not new (ITS HISTORICAL!) but it’s clean and boutique—ish. Turn down service with treats! Stay here. It’s awesome.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo