“Wonderful Family Motel”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Bartlett
MA
“Wonderful Family Motel”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

When my husband and I plan a trip, we evaluate three key variables; location, quality and amenities, and value. We recently visited Storyland and North Colony Motel passed with flying colors on all three criteria. We visited with our two grandchildren, ages 3 and 5, and here is our scorecard:
LOCATION:
- 4 miles to Storyland
- Really close to great kids' restaurants (Joseph’s Spaghetti Shed and Margarita’s
Grill)

QUALITY AND AMENITIES:
- Clean, air-conditioned room
- Flat panel TV with loads of kids’ channels
- DVD . . . . didn’t use it
- Great playground for grandkids . . . they loved it!
- Nice pool with slide and diving board (incredible)
- Picnic tables that we used for our breakfast meals
- Microwave and good sized refrig. with freezer
- Fresh brewed coffee in morning
- Discounted tickets for both Storyland and Clark’s Trading Post that we visited
- Parking right next to our room
- The owners, Joe and Nancy, went out of their way to help and assist us with
directions, recommendations and discounted tickets

VALUE:
- When we did our research, North Colony was VERY competitive on price

THE BOTTOMLINE:
- When we visited, it was one of the few motels that had a NO VACANCY sign.
“The proof is in the pudding” and we really enjoyed it!

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mimi023

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Lancaster, MA
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Just returned from the obligatory family trip to Story Land (a great New England tradition) and had the pleasure of staying at this establishment. What a little gem of a motel. The room we had was clean and comfortable, the establishment was family-friendly, and it was about as relaxing a place to stay that I have frequented in a long time. Amazingly, despite all the kids I saw in the motel's pool and playground area it was very quiet each night I was there.

Speaking of the pool, this motel has a wonderful pool and pool area which served as a great respite from the oppressive heat and humidity that took hold of the White Mountains while we were visiting. As for its location it could not be better. It is close to every White Mountains attraction you could want and yet far enough away from the hustle and bustle of North Conway and its outlets. Laslty, the price was very reasonable and our hotel rate included our entry fee to Story Land! I would not hesitate to stay here again in the future.

...and one last note. I cannot help but respond to the individual who complained that the pool was not heated and that the water was warm only as a result of the surrounding high temperature. Please, buy a clue. Who heats a pool in the middle of summer when the temperatures are in the 80's and 90's?

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 July 2011

we went for two nights this past week. I feel it was overpriced. The playground area was not fenced in. I felt it was not too safe for little ones because it was close to road. It says pool heated but it seemed like a regular pool and just warm because of weather. The rooms were very small. The air conditioner smelled bad. I probably would not go back again.,

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank owen1506
nkelemen, Owner at North Colony Motel and Cottages, responded to this review, 7 August 2011
Thank you for your review. I wish you felt comfortable enough to express these concerns while you were here. I do apologize if you feel you were overcharged for the additional person in your party. We tried to accomodate you to the best of our ability. Keep in mind the total included your lodging, tax and Storyland tickets for your whole party. The air condition could have been taken care of immediately with a filter change. Some of our air conditioners are running almost 24 hours a day 7 days a week this time of year. The playground is set up exactly as our website shows. I hope your children were able to enjoy it even with your concerns. The pool is heated and kept at 79-82 degrees. Thank you for your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to further discuss your visit.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Speaking for many of the other reviewers, I cannot express how pleased we were at this "diamond in the rough" in the White Mountain region.

We made our first trip up to North Colony last summer to visit Storyland and not only was my wife and I impressed, my son and daughter were as well with the spacious play area and swimming pool.

Place is so quiet you could hear a pin drop and the cottage we stayed in was equipped like a modern 4 star hotel with wi-fi, cable tv, ipod hook-up, a well stocked bathroom with plenty of tolietries.

Beds were comfortable and the room was cleaner than our own home! :)

What really sets this place apart is the fact that when I made a reservation for our return trip later this summer, Nancy, one of the owners, remembered us from our previous visit.

How many other places do that unless you're someone famous?

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank jwalsh1
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 July 2011

My wife and I wanted to take our kids up to New Hampshire to visit Storyland. Then we happened to come across the North Colony and we saw how wonderful the reviews were so we decided to book a room. The rates are very reasonable and they had a number of package deals that included tickets to local attractions, we opted for a double package that included Storyland and Day out with Thomas. Our kids Loved the play area as well as the swimming pool and the room was more than adequate, great TV, DVD player, fridge and very clean. Staff was very friendly as well. We will definitely be back there next summer! Highly Recommended!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartlett
3.3 km away
Nordic Village Resort
#4 of 12 in Bartlett
0.4 km away
Attitash Grand Summit Hotel

Been to North Colony Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!