“Not quite what they make it out to be.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #95 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
“Not quite what they make it out to be.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The hotel is OK, we knew going in that it wasn't going to be as nice as the previous hotels we had stayed in but because of the reviews on trip advisor we thought we'd give it a try. The hotel does smell like coconuts but we didn't think it was too bad and after awhile you don't notice it anymore. The hotel is not as upgraded as they make it out to be though.

Rooms:
We were put in the Club Tower which is a long walk to the casino, restaurants and reception but not too bad. The room was clean though it had a musty smell to it and was very humid. We turned the air conditioning up thinking this might help but it didn't. We eventually noticed that the windows would open a crack so we would open the windows when we left for the evening and it was better when we got back. The bed wasn't very comfortable and the shutters for blinds didn't do a great job of keeping light out.

Food:
Not much selection for food 1 restaurant, a pizza place and a Starbucks but you can walk to the Excalibur and there is a McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Quiznos etc. Room service took FOREVER, we were told 30-40 minutes and it ended up being an hour and 15 mins and that's probably because we phoned wanted to know where our food was. That being said the breakfast we had was very good, expensive but good and it was hot when it arrived.

Casino:
The casino is small compared to the other hotels on the strip but we never had a problem finding a machine to play. Their promotion the "first $200 on us" is not exactly what you will think. They only count the money you spend on the day you sign up for your card (so sign up early in the morning and plan to do your gambling there for the day) and you have to have your card checked by 11:59 pm that day to qualify. If you qualify they will give you 1/2 the money you spent back on your card to use now (up to $100) and the other 1/2 isn't available for a month and only good for a year. If you were planning to gamble anyway it's not bad because at least you get half your losses back right away but not quite what they make it out to be.

Show:
Trying to buy tickets for the show was EXTREMELY painful as their printers were down and they kept telling us to come back and we'd come back and they would have sold some tickets but couldn't help us yet. Finally after the 3rd attempt we got someone to put a hold on our tickets until they got their system working. Another issue was the fact that as the lady who was trying to sell us the tickets was helping us she would be constantly be picking up the phone and dealing with the phone as well. Even though it was a huge ordeal to get tickets, we would highly recommend the Recycled Percussion!!! Being a hotel guest you can purchase a general admission but upgrade to a VIP for $11. We sat in a VIP booth and would recommend that seating though any seat would be good for the show because it's not a big theater. We were in the VIP booths directly behind the 2 rows of VIP tables and think we had a better seat then the tables.

Overall the hotel was OK but we don't think we'd stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RumseyTravelers
Nicole-TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Thank you for your review and I apologize we failed to meet all your expectations. I am currently addressing the Box Office customer service challenges and assure you this is not our intended levels of service. I also apologize over the HVAC challenges and we are addressing these as well. I would love a chance to make this visit up to you. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,617)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Laguna Niguel, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The "New" Tropicana is a whole lot more appealing than the "old" Tropicana. Though, in all honesty, I would not give it the 4 star rating that Priceline did. As someone who travels extensively, and almost always uses http://Priceline.com, I can tell you that they are usually pretty spot on with their ratings... however the extremely small gaming area, the "vintage" looking architecture and the slightly tired looking cocktail waitresses and dealers, less than stellar bathrooms, etc... this is NOT a 4 star hotel, by any stretch.

The check in area is very swanky looking, with it's white leather and tropical color changing lighting... it's very sleek. However, it really doesn't match the rest of the casino or hotel. It looks like they were trying to create a South Beach type vibe... and in my opinion, go big or go home. They went home.

The check-in process was easy and the front desk guy was nice enough, but not the overly friendly type that we're used to seeing here in Sin City. One thing that did upset me, was the resort fee. Having just stayed at Mandalay Bay, also using Priceline, our resort fee (which I guess covers the wifi) was INCLUDED. Here are The Trop, we had to pay an additional $15 a day, making our stay here... even more expensive than Mandalay Bay, and so now I'm just a little pissed off.

Our room was nicely re-done... beds are comfy, the room is spacious and it has a neat Florida look to it (bamboo, wicker, a lot of orange), plantation style shutters... but the bathroom really leaves something to the imagination and isn't nearly as clean as a bathroom should be, which is a huge problem for me, personally. Again, it was a go big or go home and they went home, once more.

We encountered a very friendly players club employee, Jahmela, who should be snatched up by a better hotel/casino. She was the epitome of customer service. She was, unfortunately the highlight of our stay here. One perk of joining players club is that they will reimburse you for up to $200 of play (50% right away and the balance in 30 days). It's free to sign up, so do so if you're planning on gambling here.

We also spent some time in the lounge area, playing video poker, while a band was playing. This area, particularly, really left me scratching my head. The band, wasn't great, and the music was just TOO loud. Really poor acoustics, I'd guess.

Also in the same "area"... for seemingly no reason at all, there were gaming tables and each of the "dealers" were in lingerie. In the middle of all of them was a stage with a pole and a solo "dancer" doing a clothed "strip tease". Now, I am in no way a prude, but it just didn't seem to work. There was no real reason or theme or point to this tiny, sort of hidden area. Awkward.

Several parts of the hotel, smelled like eggs... sulfur. Which was rather unappealing.

The best parts of the hotel include easy access to a few other hotels (including Mandalay Bay, where we stayed for 3 nights prior to staying at The Trop for 3 nights, and I really wish we would have just stayed there... but we'd been wanting to check out the "new Trop"... so here we are, sorely disappointed). A couple other good things are that players club I mentioned above and they have an in-hotel Starbucks. Sadly, that's about it.

I guess when I sum it all up, I feel like things aren't finished, but I think, as far as the hotel is concerned, they are. Which is unfortunate. If the idea was to "change the hotel" in order to remain competitive, I think they've missed the mark.

The new Tropicana is clean, and decent... but for the money (even using priceline) there are MUCH nicer places to stay in Las Vegas and I'd highly recommend you do.

Room Tip: The only tip to help you choose a good room, is to tell you to stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank PaulandTara11
I apologize that this visit filed to meet all your expectations. I also apologize for any confusion, our rating with the travel sites are based not just on our renovated looks but on our quality of food, rooms and service. Some properties do include their resort fee with travel site pricing and others, like ours, have this paid directly to the hotel actually saving you some additional fees by the travel services. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Ok, so the hotel had a multi million dollar renovation, what they don't mention is that they only invested half of what they should have if they planned to make this a true star. (Priceline and Kayak have it at 4 stars, I think it is totally wrong considering they have Cosmopolitan and Aria at 5 stars.)

There are some good things at Tropicana. Free internet, nice room with upgraded vanity, bed and deco. The style they chose (Miami South Beach) makes it look a bit outdated already. The gym and pool are great. Gym is small but not a lot of people go there. Plus the view to the pool from cardio equipment makes it a easy to spend 30 minutes doing cardio. Weight equipment is limited but it has all you could need. Casino area looks fresh and it has good service (again not 4 stars but good). Location, great to walk to nearby places, a great plus on that.

The bad parts. Overpriced in room dining. The price I got for my room is overvalued considering it's only $30 difference to go from Tropicana to Cosmopolitan. The bathroon was left with some tile that shows it was from 70s and limited amenities tell you it is not 4 star. The hallway smell is not fresh, not good either. Security should pay more attention to those who pass out on the hallway couches if this is a true 4 star hotel. Self- parking is very limited, but I guess you can always have a choice to valet, but again price per room is high and on top you keed adding. I felt nick and dimed. (Except for the internet, which in turns help you get some food delivered from outside the hotel and saves you quite some money.) The food was nothing to write home about, especially when it came to value. The A/C was cranked up as cold as it could get, outdoor temp was around 80. A/C kept up, I will not see it perform in July at 100+ degrees.

Too bad I foresee this investment in renovation as not worth it, as it will bring new customer segment, but it will clearly ahd quickly tell some customers to stay away...and if priceline wants to keep their bid system working, Tropicana should be changed to a 3 star. Prices don't make a 4 star hotel, it's the facilities and the whole experience. If a Motel 6 were to add some facilities, won't make it 4 stars. (Tropicana is better than Motel 6, but not 1 star below from the 5 star hotels on the strip.

Room Tip: I wasn't told of any options for upgrade, but I don't think paying for an upgrade is worth i...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Valueskr
I apologize we failed to meet all your expectations on this visit. Our star rating with the travel sites are based on the renovation, quality of the rooms, food and customer service as well. We are currently correcting the HVAC challenges and any service challenges as well. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I decided to take my wife on a surprise belated honeymoon trip. This was my first time to Vegas, so I was a little overwhelmed but settled on the the Trop based off of the rave reviews they had on their remodel (not to mention the fact I caught a good sale too) and booked a deluxe plus room. Before our trip I was in contact with Elsa from customer care and Monica a guest services manager. They were more than helpful in providing little extras to make this a special trip for us. We arrived at 10:30 am on Wednesday, granted check in is not until 3pm, I was assured by the desk clerk (cant remember her name outside of the fact she was an asian woman) that she would expedite a room for us and she would call me when it was ready (she said it wouldnt be more than 30-45 minutes), and almost 2 hours go by and no call. When I went back to the desk, she told me, it was ready over an hour ago. One other thing folks, if you think tipping the desk clerk gets you anywhere, this is not the place to be ( I tried to tip her a 20 and explained it was our honeymoon and well, I would have gotten better service from giving the 20 to one of the homeless guys on the strip)... We get into our room 1813 in the paradise tower, drop our bags and go out exploring for a bit. We had dinner reservations at 5:45 at the Eiffel Tower followed by O at 10pm. We head back to the room and my wife goes to take a bath. She was in for a big surprise when she found hairs from the nether region of a previous guest in the tub and stuck to the soap dish. I attempted to call Nicole and Elsa to for some assistance to no avail. Left voicemails and emails and nada, nobody in the hotel could tell me when they would be in much less who I could go to instead. None the less we had plans so I cleaned the tub for my wife and we went on our way for the night. Thursday morning, when we got up, I took a moment to take a better look at the room in comparison to the pictures online. I realized I was in a standard room, and this is not what I paid for. I attempted to call my contacts again to no avail and went down to the front desk to address the mystery hairs and the room. I spoke with an african american woman at the desk who seemed to care less about the fact of the hairs in the tub, and would only tell me that the room I thought I had booked didnt exist (there isnt one that faces the strip) and if I wanted a bigger room (never mind the fact i paid for it) I would have to move to the back tower. (A little background on this, in the 5 weeks prior that I had been emailing my contacts at the hotel, not once did anyone say there would be an issue with a deluxe plus room with a strip view.... Now I get told I would need to move the back of the hotel and face the airport?????). My wife and I dont get to take trips that are not family related very often, 99% of our trips are either to Florida or NY to see our respective families, so this was supposed to be a stress free get away. Back to the story, I was LIVID when I was told the room I wanted (and paid for) got booked the week prior because of a blackjack tournament... Um HELLO people I booked my trip 7 weeks ago....... The desk clerk handed me off to the front desk supervisor Gwen, I will give Gwen a lot of credit, she was more than fair and patient. She offered to move us to the back tower, (bare in mind people, the back tower is almost in another zip code), I told her my wife was happy in the paradise tower, so we would keep the room. Gwen promptly had a cleaning crew go to the room to do a thorough cleaning, and provided us with some nice comps. The comps made up for the "extra" I had paid for the deluxe plus room and we let it go at that. On the plus side Thursday I entered a Texas hold'em tournament and came in 5th, the "pit boss?" Todd, and the dealers were very pleasant to deal with (thank you Todd). Some of the other perks of the hotel include Biscayne the restaurant, we received a comped meal and I can say the experience was wonderful. Friday we had comped tickets for Recycled Percussion (something that was arranged prior to our visit), you need to bring your own drinks in to the show from one of the bars (not a big deal). Wednesday night I had hit up the Anhbar, played a little video poker and had some free drinks (bottled beer and a shot of crown), I ordered this a few times with no problem. One of the bartenders (DJ), told me since I was playing poker there was no charge, I was out of cash so I made him ring up a soda so I could tip him (thanks DJ for the great service), and Friday afternoon I was at one of the other bars and played a little poker and received my beer and shot of crown without issue at no charge. So before we went in to see Recycled Percussion, I went back to the Anhbar to play a little poker and get some drinks for my wife and I to take to the show. I sat down, put some money in the game and started to play. This older caucasian woman took my order, (a couple beers, a shot and some waters), brought me my drinks and told me it would be $25...... I reminded her that I was playing poker and I was under the impression there would be no charge. This woman almost read me the riot act to tell me it only 1 drink, per 20 minutes, per 20 dollars spent at the poker game. I really wanted to tell her where she could put the drinks, but I bit my tongue and let my dissatisfaction show in the 1 dollar tip I left (from someone who formally ran nightclubs and bars for a living, I would NEVER leave such a bad tip no matter how bad the service, but in this case, I felt the exception was justified). If you are curious about the Recycled Percussion show, it is a definite must see! We saw Blue Man the night before and this was a much better show! Friday night my wife and I opted to call it a night early due to flying out Saturday, here comes the Coup de grâce........ Remember that strip facing room of ours??? We learned real quick the view comes with a price on the weekends. All we heard all night was the bass from the speakers on the driveway roof blaring the music from RPM the club on the main floor... We were 18 floors up and all we heard until 4am was thump, thump, thump, thump thump thump........The sirens from emergency vehicles didnt hold a candle to this mind numbing noise vibrating the room.... In all honesty there were a few good points to our stay, but the comedy of errors with our room, lack of customer service from the front desk and 1 bartender, the very tight slots, and the noise left a very very bad taste in our mouth. I can honestly say most of the few thousand we spent this week went to MGM properties (and we came home with most of what we gambled), and from what we saw at the other properties, the Trop will not be on our list of places to stay. If you are budget minded and are not expecting much, this is the place too be. Just keep in mind, since this is a stand alone property and if you have any issues, their comps are very very limited as opposed to an MGM or a Ceasar property.

Room Tip: beware of strip views on the weekend
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ericnlisa13
I apologize this visit failed to meet all your expectations and I hope you consider these challenges not to be our intended levels of service. We are working to ensure any promises of follow up are done in a timely manner. What you experienced is not acceptable to us. I also apologize over any confusion as the Deluxe Plus room you booked was in the Club Tower and not the Paradise. I understand you not wanting to move towers but we did leave that decision for you to make. I do apologize that we were not able to connect while you were here as I did leave you two messages on your room. I am happy that Gwen was able to assist you and you did enjoy the show I was able to provide for you. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Great 5 night stay with 4 other friends. Found the hotel to be extremely clean at all times and the staff to be overly helpful. The only downside is the lack of options for food - but your in Vegas so no worries in finding somewhere to get food. We got all 3 rooms upgraded on arrival - 2 were upgraded to suites and all 3 had great strip views (gave $50 to the lovely lady at reception). The pool is fantastic and very helpful waitresses! Great location and totally enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends