New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“The Tropicana is much improved and only getting better with all the renovations.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #90 of 267 Hotels in Las Vegas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

The welcome at the front desk was great. The room was very spacious and had a great view. The bar had a great happy hour for guests. Was overall very satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nicole-TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thank you for your review and I am thrilled you had such a great visit! Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,580)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Portland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

I booked the Tropicana for a brief Las Vegas visit where I would be attending a trade show across the street at the MGM. I am so glad I chose the Tropicana as I found it a soothing relief from the frenetic miles of swirling casino action at the MGM. The white marble, mid century sleek front desk area with it's super cool lighting was so positively zen that you could almost forget the nearby slot machines. I was in the Paradise tower which was great because the elevator to the tower is just steps away from the hotel entrance making for very easy comings and goings. The 14th floor room also offered a terrific view out of windows that actualluy open. The room was spacious and newly renovated with all the perks like the i-pod dock, the very large flat screen HD TV and high speed internet. The staff was super pleasant to deal with regarding early check-in, printing of boarding passes, etc. I would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: Paradise tower elevators are a very short walk from the front entry; no walking through casinos!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MissPDX
Thank you for your review. I am so happy to hear you had a great stay. Our boutique size makes it easier for us to really personalize our transactions. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed here 3 nights 6 adults and 2 toddlers celebrating several B-days within our group. I was hesitant at first but decided to give the Trop a try when our much larger with kitchen 1st choice fell through. I did call ahead with several questions regarding some concerns we had...like no fridge in room, location of rooms, and amenities around. Unfortunately after 2 emails I only received replies back after our stay was over...sigh. The re-model looks to be completely finished and the standard was good for the price. As others have mentioned the coconut scent is strong and we did notice remnants in the rooms as well - tolerable but we would of preferred a more subtle scent or none at all. We ended up with 2 connecting rooms and one stand alone room all in the Paradise tower all double queen beds. The rooms were fine and connecting room was particularly convenient for the kids to run back and forth between during the day. As others have mentioned the windows are covered by horizontal wooden shutters but if you turn the shutters up and not down it does block out more light and wasn't a issue for us which we were concerned about with kids. The rooms have no fridge (they quoted us $25 per night extra to have fridge brought up) and no complimentary water but you do have a vending machine down the hall with drinks and the gift shop first level near the exit does carry all the basics...drinks, snacks, small sandwiches, etc.....You can also go the MGM casino floor for slightly larger gift shop with similar items. Otherwise walk further up the strip past MGM about 10 minutes to ABC store/Walgreens. The pizza and other basic items at the food court was fine and reasonable quality and price. We ate at Nikki Cafe for breakfast and did enjoy the buffet breakfast - Not too much variety but quality of what they did have was good and made up for the lack of variety. Location of hotel was convenient and being in Paradise tower was a short stroll the the neighboring properties. We saw 'KA' at the MGM which was also a short walk over. We used the monorail on the first day but ended up taking taxi's rest of our stay which worked out to be much more convenient and not much more in price. The casino at the Trop as the others mentioned was bright and dealers friendly. Although not very full it was probably one of the more fun atmospheres to hit the tables for the casual gambler. Overall there was nothing really exceptional about the hotel or our stay but nothing that was very wrong either. Not sure I would stay here again but probably offers good value for the location and being remodeled.

Room Tip: Paradise tower closer to strip and connecting rooms for more than 1 room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank aeternam
Thank you for your feed, we appreciate you taking the time. I apologize over any delay in a reply as well. Our normal turn-around time for e-mails is 48-72 hours. I am glad we met all your expectations on this visit and hope next time to be able to exceed them. We have some exciting entertainment announcement coming up very, very soon! Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Marina del Rey, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

The last time I stayed at the Tropicana was 10 years ago. It was old, worn out and smelled like cigarettes. Five years ago I walked through the casino on another Vegas trip and it was just depressing. Based on these experiences, I'll admit I was a little disappointed when it came up as a four-star hotel option on Hotwire. I shouldn't have worried. The minute I walked into the new Trop it became clear that it is not the same place. The lobby is white and clean with a hip modern look. I went with a couple of friends and we reserved adjoining rooms in the Club Tower. Both rooms had a view of the Strip, were a good size and had all-new furniture. The beds were clean and comfortable with nice linens and duvet covers. If I have a complaint it's that the renovations to the bathrooms are somewhat superficial. The tub/shower combo and toilet still feel a little cheap and to me that's the real distinguishing feature between the Trop and some of the higher-end hotels in Vegas. That said, as someone who normally stays at the Bellagio but wanted to save a little money on this trip, I could not have been happier with the Trop and would absolutely go back if I was in the market for a nice hotel that's a little cheaper than the five-star options. It was a pleasant surprise in every way.

Even if I didn't stay here, I would definitely come back to gamble. The casino is bright, clean and well-lit. The dealers are friendly and pleasant and the crowd is "normal," neither snobby nor trashy. The casino is also much less crowded than some others and has relatively low table limits. We were able to play $10 blackjack (with blackjack paying 3-2) and $5 craps even on Friday and Saturday nights without fighting crowds. There were also plenty of cheap slot and video poker machines. Every time my friends and I ventured out to other casinos on the Strip, we ended up comparing them to the Trop and deciding we'd rather go back there to play. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights as the second part of our Vegas stay. Our first stay was at a very upmarket hotel at the north end of the strip so at first glance we thought we'd be disappointed with Tropicana. In fact it's very good value, clean, quiet, comfortable and in a great location at the south end of the strip. We stayed in Club Tower which is a bit of a walk from the main entrance, would probably stay in Paradise Tower next time. Like most hotels in Vegas they have a "signature scent" and unfortunately Tropicana's was overwhelmingly coconut but at least not in the rooms. Buffet breakfast good value at $18.99 and good selection to start the day. There is a Starbucks in house but if you want decent coffee go to Illy at The Palazzo Hotel. Overall pleasantly surprised and worth another visit.

• Stayed February 2012