12,100 results
All reviews rush tower carson tower shark tank gold tower fremont street chart house claim jumper red sushi stay downtown downtown vegas fremont experience k cups light show old vegas pool area coupon book adult pool
Reviewed 29 May 2017

I stayed at the Golden Nugget with my mom from late April to May 3rd - for seven nights. I’ve been traveling for months so I only had time to post this review now. As a preface, I want to say that before booking this hotel I debated whether I should stay here. I really wanted to stay at The Palazzo but my mom likes to shop and I thought she would have liked what Freemont Street had to offer more than the actual hotel or accommodations. In the past, proximity to shopping has always been a priority and preferential (for my mom). I prefer an upscale hotel. This time I should have followed my gut and stayed anywhere but here. Choosing this place was one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

The only remotely positive things about the place are 1.) The pool which is just okay I didn’t see one shark in the 'shark tank' and the slide was closed. So if you are thinking of staying here for the shark tank novelty - forget about it. 2.) The restaurants: Red Sushi is very good. Claim Jumpers is okay and open 24/7 which is convenient. Ask about the Laundry’s gift card if the server doesn't mention it (which I doubt). You pay $25 but get it right back on the card. Also, ask about the birthday incentive. The asian restaurant is good - best part was my conversation with our server. The experience at Grotto could have been better - service was lacking. 3.) The room was quite and you get free basic wifi. That is all I can say that is in any way positive about this place.

Now - the bad, I mean the really bad. The room - Carson Tower Two Doubles. The room was old, no view - only views you can get are what they call ‘Mountain" view or "Freemont Street" view which is noisy all night. I was told I was given a Mountain view room but I had no view at all except for the roof of another building so I kept the curtains closed the entire time. The beds are not doubles or queens - more like twin beds with hard mattresses. The air-conditioner was loud and kept going on and off throughout each day and night. The TV had it’s issues which is to be expected in Vegas when they want you out of the rooms anyway. The bathroom was a mess and everything needed an upgrade. I choose not to have housekeeping come in and just keep the room as clean as possible myself. The carpeting is old and needs to be replaced. Also, note that upon arrival there was no one available to help with luggage and there was no ramp. I had to lift heavy luggage down stairs which is ridiculous.

Tip: if you choose to stay here which I sincerely hope you don’t - pay the extra $50 for VIP check-in so you can get into your room when you arrive and avoid the crowded check-in desk. The VIP check-in was the best decision I made on this trip. However, it closes at 8pm so if you have a late arrival time - forget it. Now - you might be asking what would I expect for what I paid? Well, let me tell you I paid more than you think. Also, this ‘hotel’ and I use the term loosely - charges $31 per night resort fee. Absolutely ridiculous. I really didn’t think a Motel 6 would be better than this.

Other issues: The elevators had issues. At one point the elevator seemed to ‘drop’ from 9th floor to the lobby and I felt a big ‘bounce’. Not good. I reported the issue and soon after the elevator was taken out of service. That could have been disastrous for me.

The casino is a descent size but it feels like a cheap space. Freemont Street is a big let down. The LED show was shut down on a Friday night which I’m sure was a huge disappointment for anyone that took a cab from the strip. Depending on weather you take a cab or ride-share that’s a $50-$100 waste of money. Then you’ve got to deal with protesters, bums, and all kinds of shenaniganry - with very little talent on display. You are then left with big crowds and the possibility of being pick-pocketed or accosted by drunken strangers. The only real thing going on is the Zip Line which seems to be going non-stop. I did not experience this personally, but only because there are two hour wait times and the ride only lasts one minute. I don’t think that is a good deal so I choose to skip it. I did get a good view from Gold Diggers nightclub on a Sunday, but the horrible Elvis impersonator on stage was a big distraction. The club was empty for most of the night so the manager negotiated 4-drinks for $50 - table on the terrace. It was 80’s night and the only good thing about the place was the view. The waitress ignored us so we decided enough was enough.

Finally, I was involved in a serious accident that occurred which is currently being ‘investigated’. The hotel is NOT taking any responsibility at this time so if you stay here be very careful. Enter at your own risk.

Tips: Get a room on the 9th floor so you can have access to both elevators on the Lobby level. Also, consider public transportation - $8 for the day and you can catch it at Binion’s. It stops at every hotel on the strip and there is also an express bus. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. Notice how the hotel doesn’t respond to comments on Trip Advisor. That is also very telling. This place is all about making money and customer satisfaction takes a back seat. Staying here was a huge mistake and I sincerely regret it. Due to this experience I may never go back to Vegas.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 9th floor and request a quiet room to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
8  Thank shellyc653
Ghamby2016, Guest Relations Specialist at Golden Nugget Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

Dear Shelly C,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit at Golden Nugget Las Vegas. I truly regret to hear about the inconsistencies you encountered during your stay. I would like to extend my sincere apologies that you did not experience the quality service and accommodations that we are known for providing. This wholeheartedly misrepresents our commitment to exceeding all of our guest’s expectations. I would like to take the time to learn more about the details surrounding your experience - especially the 'accident' you spoke of, as this is particularly concerning. Please expect a private message through here so that we can obtain additional information. Thank you again, and I look forward to speaking with you.

Dustin H.
Golden Nugget Las Vegas
Guest Relations Specialist
Guestservicesgnlv@goldennugget.com

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

Nice hotel, we thought it was clean and well maintained. We did have an issue with our room when we first checked in but the hotel was very good about helping us. The air conditioning in the room was not working properly, when we talked to the front desk they offered to move us to a different room or send maintenance to fix it. We chose to be moved to a different room, the new room was recently renovated! So we were happy with our choice! We appreciate the hotel staff for being so accommodating! The pool was nice and had a great atmosphere! We were bummed that the shark tank was being renovated so we didn't get to see that in working order, just gives us a reason to come back again! Overall we had a great stay here and would recommend it to others! It was nice to stay down on Fremont street, I was impressed that for as loud as it gets on Fremont street at night that we couldn't hear any of it inside our rooms! Only downfall for us was that there wasn't a mini fridge in the room, we would have liked to have been able to put our water in the fridge or any leftovers we had. Which we never brought leftovers back specifically because we knew we didn't have a fridge to keep the food.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2017

I stayed here as part of an organised trip with TopDeck, and I was pretty underwhelmed. Prior to the trip I saw the good reviews on here and was feeling optimistic, but upon arrival to the hotel it's obvious this place is in need of an upgrade. It looks run down in areas in contrast to hotels you see along the strip.

Biggest call out was that our room had a broken tap. Steady leak of water eventually turned into a gushing stream. I had call maintenance at 3am to come and fix the issue. I'm surprised this leak wasn't picked up by housekeeping prior to our arrival to the room.

Another disappointment was that we weren't entitled to free wi-fi because we were there as a trip group. Not sure what the details were around this, but whatever the reason it's ridiculous. In this day and age wi-fi access should just be a given - and it's especially frustrating as an international traveller when data costs more. What's more is hotels in the strip I wasn't even staying in gave me free wi-fi! Riddle me that!

My other gripe was the staff - just outright rude and unhelpful. Simply asked for instructions to where I could find a bus and I was greeted with a sour face and vague wave of the hand. Hot tip - If you're in a uniform be prepared to answer questions, even if it's outside your role responsibility, and act with grace and professionalism.

On a positive note, the beds are comfortable, the rooms are spacious, and the bathroom was clean. It's in an ok location depending on your interests as it's super close to factory outlets and not too far from the strip. That being said, if I'm ever back in Vegas the strip is where I'll be.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Elana M
Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights. Self parking was free which was nice. We had to pay $15 to have a coffee pot that came with 4 k-cups. Extras were $10 for 4 so we bought our own. The bed was wonderful. We had a vanity with a makeup mirror but no chair so we called and one was delivered promptly. Bottled waters were complimentary but we had to call down every day to ask for them. We left a note for housekeeping regarding the waters and chair but no response. Towels were a little scratchy for our liking. No luck at all in the casino on both table games and slots. Better luck elsewhere so that's where we went. We had a wonderful club sandwich at the Claim Jumper and the drinks were good at the Italian restaurant. We enjoyed our stay but not sure we would go back.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VikkiS
Reviewed 28 May 2017

Stayed 5 nights at the Nugget. Was apprehensive to stay in the Carson tower based on reviews I read. At check in I was offered the Rush tower for $30/night more. We had a non smoking floor in the Carson tower which did not smell of smoke except for the idiots that went out the door to the stairwell beside our room & smoked. Really- how dumb can you be! Room was a good size but needed a bit more furniture as it looked almost vacant. Bed was OK- a bit soft for me. The pillows were horrible. Way too soft to the point of having no volume at all. Flat as pancakes. I asked 3 times for firm pillows but there was a language barrier & the housekeepers could not understand what I was asking for. Despite being told by the housekeeping department I called that they would send firm pillows I never got them. The room was relatively clean.

Bed linens could have been a bit nicer but towels were very thick & soft. There were nice toiletries in the room. Air conditioning worked well & the water pressure in the shower was good. Variety of TV channels was good. We were on the 17th floor but could still hear some noise from the street below. We faced the back of Freemont Street rather than onto Freemont.

We did not have to pay the resort fee with our package & we did not purchase the wifi for $14.95/day. Resort fees are the biggest rip off hotels can legally get away with in Vegas. There should be a law against it. They must all think travelers are stupid & don't know this is a money grab for a higher nightly rate while providing nothing of any value in return. In this day & age pretty much any hotel provides free wifi- except Vegas hotels. Go to the McDonalds at the D down the street & use their free wifi. There is also a business centre run by an independent company by the Carson tower. They offer daily wi fi fees more reasonable than the Nugget's.

We were going to eat at one of the restaurants but after waiting 15 minutes for a server we left. We ate at restaurants out of the hotel as we found the Nugget too expensive. You can request a Kueirg coffee maker in the room at no charge but be warned to either take your own pods or buy some as they charge $10 for 4 pods. Another rip off. There is no fridge in the room & if you request one you'll pay a ridiculous fee per day to rent it. There is also no microwave. Again, in this day & age most hotels offer a small fridge & microwave in the rooms. The Nugget really should get with the program & include these in the rooms.

There were no sharks in the pool tank when we visited. I did know this ahead of time as it was on their web site. What I didn't know is they would be jack hammering at the pool or that if you want to use the adult pool you'll pay $30/day per lounger. The pool doesn't open before 10 a.m. so don't plan on an early morning & hopefully quiet swim. The hot tub is nicely located but you walk through a smoking area to get to it. Why is smoking even allowed at a pool area? There is a big sign that no children under 16 weren't allowed into the hot tub. Despite that we saw many parents drag their young children to it only to have the lifeguard remove them. The main pool really isn't that great. It is small & shallow & designed in a circle around the shark tank & water slide (also not open).

The Nugget is in a great location downtown as it is on Freemont Street. If you stay at the Carson tower you will have the longest walk to reach Freemont as the Carson is at the back of the hotel. Buses are within a short walk of the hotel including a bus to the airport. There is an ABC, McDonalds, Walgreens & Dennys all within short walking distance.

For those with young children, I would be concerned to take young children onto Freemont street. We encountered a number of people begging for money, nude or nearly nude women & men & some lude & disgusting "performances" by some. It is a shame that the truly interesting & worthwhile entertainers can't be more appreciated in the midst of what you find on Freemont.

Room Tip: Get as high a room as possible if you are noise sensitive
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple