“HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED FROM START TO FINISH”

Spiedini Ristorante
Ranked #911 of 5,410 Restaurants in Las Vegas
Price range: US$21 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Romantic, View
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Summerlin
Reviewed 26 December 2017

I asked friends for a recommendation for Xmas dinner; my friend Al said this is his and his wife's favorite restaurant. I called to make reservations, but the person who answered the phone didn't have the December calendar. She said she'd have her manager call me the following day, which he did. I made a reservation for a party of two at 6:15 on Christmas evening.

My husband and I arrived at 6:05; we were greeted immediately by the Matre'd who was very friendly. He seated us a minute later. While he was explaining the single sheet of paper which was today's menu (a prix fixe Christmas dinner on one side, a limited ala cart menu on the other side), the waiter (Jason?) showed up and started asking us questions or giving input. Both Jason and the Matre'd spoke at once; I didn't know where to look, couldn't hear either of them well. In the end, someone gave my husband a Wine Menu -- which he then gave to me.

Before I could look at it, Jason told me that they have a new Pinot Noir that is very popular, Cherry-something. He showed it to me on the menu. We were planning to spend the night in the hotel, so I ordered the bottle ($44). Jason left and the busman arrived. He gave us each a glass of water; he put a bread bowl on the table; and poured olive oil and balsamic vinegar into a dish.

Jason returned with the twist-top wine, which he poured for me to taste. I smelled it and said "Huh. This doesn't have a Pinot nose." There was nothing WRONG with the wine, so I accepted it and Jason poured.

I then asked Jason whether I should order something to go with the Lobster Ravioli. Jason suggested my husband and I split a Caesar salad, so we agreed. We also ordered our entrees at that time.

My husband passed me the bread basket -- which contained cold white bread. Before I knew it, a fourth person arrived with our Caesar salad. He placed the salad in the middle of the table, along with two large spoons, and two small plates. He did offer us freshly ground pepper, but then left us to serve the salad ourselves. WOW -- such service!

There were few croutons on the salad and almost no Parmesan cheese. The dressing was mediocre; couldn't taste even a hint of anchovy. No tableside preparation; just a mediocre Caesar salad placed in the center of our table.

My husband had a serving. I had a second serving. I noticed his water glass was empty. A young couple was seated directly in front of us. They were given a bread basket but no water and no oil/vinegar. We started watching... and waiting. They were looking around. We waited... and waited..... At least five minutes after being given a basket of bread, they were finally given olive oil and vinegar. It was another 5 minutes before they were given water at which time I waved to the bus person, trying to get him to give us water, as well.

He never looked in my direction, so we sat with my husband's water glass completely empty and mine down about 2/3. Waiters and busmen kept passing our table, but no one even looked at our water glasses. Until the Matre'd walked by. He looked right at my husband's empty water glass -- and kept on walking!

This entire time, we never saw our waiter. After pouring the wine and taking our order, he left. He never once asked us about the salad; never checked on us for wine or water; never came into my line of sight.

At some point, yet another person came and took away our salad, salad dishes, the two large serving spoons, and my fork. He missed my husband's salad fork.

I finally offered to get water myself, as I was sitting about 4 feet away from the water pitchers. My husband declined and informed me that our waiter had been having a conversation at the 'hostess stand' with the Matre'D for about 10 minutes; that it appeared they were just B.S.'ing; it didn't appear to be work related.

Eventually, my husband was able to get our busman's attention and get water. But even then, he had started to walk right past us again, and my husband had to yell a little (it was noisy) to get his attention.

We were seated between 6:05 and 6:10 PM. At 6:55 (still no food), the Matre'D stopped at our table and started to top off my wine. My glass was 40% full. Anyone who knows anything about wine, knows not to fill a red wine glass more than halfway; 1/3 of the way is best. I put my hand out to stop him, so he started to top off my husband's wine.

My husband put his hand on top of his glass and said "No. I don't want any more. I don't like the wine." The Matre'D swooped up the two wine glasses (both of which had wine in them), and the half full bottle, so quickly I'm surprised I didn't get whiplash. He said "Then I'll take this away and...." I don't remember what else he said because my husband then said that we'd been waiting for our pasta for 45 minutes. A scene was developing..... The Matre'D left and, a minute later, Jason showed up (for the first time since taking our orders) and said "I just checked on your food. It'll be out in two minutes."

I quietly told my husband that I'm not eating it; he angered the Matre'D and the waiter BEFORE they brought us our food; I'd be afraid to eat it. I told him to pay our bill and meet me outside of the restaurant. It seems our meals were brought out shortly thereafter; we did not eat them or take them with us. The Matre'D comped our bill.

When we were checking out of the hotel later, my husband ran into the young couple. They had waited so long for their food, that they comped his one beer.

There were only two buspeople for the entire restaurant and they both worked their tails off. They provided horrible service, because there should have been at least four busmen; not their fault. That is a management problem.

I noticed another reviewer said that the Matre'D and waiters hung around BS'ing with each other rather than working. That too is a management problem. My friend raves about this place, so I can't help but wonder if there is new management. If so, you need to bring back to previous manager. If not, goddess help you. This place is a real mess.

1  Thank KSSeaB

Reviewed 12 December 2017

I visited in early Nov, 2017. It is within the JW Marriott / Rampart Casino complex.
I entered the restaurant at approximately 8:15 pm., on a Friday evening.
There were only 3 seated tables, in a mostly empty room (a warning sign).
I ordered the "Linguine with clams", with a "red sauce." It arrived fairly quickly, served with a "white" sauce instead.
I decided to give the white sauce a try, as I really didn't want to wait for another serving.
The sauce was extremely watery. The dish - absolutely no flavor, whatsoever.
The waiter did not return for quite some time (indicating it would have been a challenge, if I chose to return it). He did eventually breeze by (not really stopping), about 60% of the way through my meal.
Upon leaving, an apparent shift manager, hostess, and my waiter were in conversation at the hostess station. With my departure, at 9 pm., there were no more tables occupied - on a Friday night, on a nice property, in a nice neighborhood...
This dish with tax (no beverages) came to $21.65
It is certainly an over-charge for the quality of the food, serving size, and lack of service.
I would suggest they begin paying attention to their guests requests and needs, and reduce the conversation at the hostess station.
Realistically, I was their one guest throughout a portion of my visit. And they failed to provide adequate service.

2  Thank cptdjc
Reviewed 26 November 2017

My wife and I live in St. George, Utah about 120 miles north of Las Vegas and a 2 hour drive. Some time ago we bought a Restaurant.com certificate that was supposed to gives us a $25 off on a purchase of $50 or more at Spiedini (we likely paid $12.50 for the certificate). We have read all the fine print (I am a retired attorney so I pretty confident I can read fine print) on both the Restaurant.com website and on the Spiedini Certificate itself. There is no restriction on using the certificate at any time. We know some certificates restrict use on holidays and holiday time periods, but there were none on this certificate. So we booked a reservation for Thanksgiving and drove down from St. George for a two day trip, in particular to go to dinner at Spiedini and see a show over this holiday. We were staying on the strip so we had about another 30 minute drive out to the J.W. Marriott for dinner with our reservation we made the day before.

We were given the wine/drink menu and ordered a bottle of Prosecco and then looked over the dinner menu as we did not want to have the standard turkey dinner (we had called to confirm that there was a more traditional Italian menu as well for Thanksgiving and again when we mad the reservation). The server brought out a bottle of Prosecco that was twice the price of the one I ordered so I asked for the wine list again and was given a different wine list that I had when ordering. I explained what I had ordered and gave him the name of the vintner for the wine I ordered. He went back and then brought out the wine list I first saw and he told me it was an old list and that they did not have that wine any longer. (Can you say bait and switch). Well since I have a certificate to use and my wife liked a selection of a bottle of Prosecco I ordered and brought the 200% higher bottle, which by the way was about 300% of the retail price at a wine store. Then we ordered our dinner. My wife had a Caesar salad and I ordered the "roasted beet salad with greens-gorgonzola and walnuts" - sounded pretty good. Her Caesar was good but not so much for my beet salad. I had two "gourmet" beets along with a couple of forks of greens, a few walnuts and minimal gorgonzola which would have been okay but the dressing was so minimal it was clearly not assembled by a competent kitchen staffer. So, on the main course, Spaghetti and Meat Balls for my wife (she is an aficionado of this dish and has had many great and not so great such entrees). Well this was one of the worst. The sauce was not as good as that from a supermarket jar and the meatballs were coarse without any traditional Italian flavor. They seemed to have not been cooked before being put in the sauce and were pretty much boiled meat. She finished the spaghetti and tried but could only eat a few bites of the meatballs. I ordered the filet, it was cooked correctly and tasted fine along with some asparagus and roasted potatoes. Oh well, it was Thanksgiving evening and perhaps the kitchen was under staffed and/or staffed with the second tier personnel. So, time to pay. I gave the server my certificate and credit card. He came back to tell me the certificate could not be used on Thanksgiving. I asked to see the manager who was very curt and did not even look at the certificate when I explained that there was no such restriction. He said "we told Restaurant.com that we were no longer going to honor those on holidays" apparently after I purchased this one that had no such restriction.

Well if you want to pay higher than average off strip prices (even higher for several well known Italian Restaurants on the Strip) for very average food, run of the mill service and a manager with I could care less attitude then this is the place for you.

2  Thank Buckguy
Reviewed 21 October 2017

If you want outstanding service, the freshest most delicious Italian cuisine, and service that goes above and beyond, this is your place. Families, couples, singles and groups will all appreciate the plethora of menu choices. We liked it so much we dined here TWICE in one week- and we were twice as happy. Fresh ingredients and attentive staff only added to the culinary pleasure. Reasonable mid range prices on dinners and great portions will keep you happy.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

The food here is absolutely delicious! Tried the carpaccio, a pasta dish with prosciutto, peas and cream sauce, and the lemoncello desert. We were so full! All of the other dishes smelled so good, we'll have to go back and eat here again. It is not inexpensive, but the food was worth it. They have a lovely interior restaurant as well as some seating outside.