“Fantastic”

and up
Personally-Guided Hoover Dam Expedition Tour
Ranked #80 of 237 Tours in Las Vegas
More attraction details
Owner description: Dean Outdoor Adventures is a small group, personally guided tour company that offers tours to Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon National Park (south rim) and our all new Mountain Biking Tour. We take pride in our small group adventures so that you may enjoy the intimacy our tours provide. We take no more than 10 people per vehicle on any of our excursions so that your time is well spent! Our tours are about experiencing your destination, and not just about visiting them. Find out for yourself why Dean Outdoor is not just another tour company.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Sydney, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We had a fabulous day visitng the Grand Canyon with Dean. We were two families so we had the car to ourselves, where we were extremely comfortable. Dean was a great guide, telling us all about Hoover dam and the Canyon. Dean provided snacks and water for the journey and a very healthy and filling lunch. At no time did he rush us and he was always very courtous and helpful. Dean was very passionate about the area and made for a memorable experience. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone, much better than going in a coach load of people. I can't wait to go back and try some of his other fun summer adventures.

2 Thank ashandjb1

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Dam Good Hoover Dam Tour”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Dean was a great tour guide full of fun facts and historical facts. He was on-time, energetic, knowledgeable, and accommodating. I couldn't ask for a better guide. It was a pity he had to turn us over to the Natl Park Service tour guide at the dam....boring.
The dam is an engineering marvel, especially when you realize what it took to do this in 1931 - wow! Learning all the sideline stories from Dean made for a fascinating trip, if you enjoy history.

1 Thank Alan K
Cincinnati, Ohio
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Fabulous tour to Hoover Dam”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I went with Dean Varos, the owner of Dean Outdoor Adventures in Las Vegas, on the Hoover Dam tour. Dean picked me up and dropped me off right at my hotel. We then picked up 3 couples who were at another hotel and off we went in his great van which was very comfortable for the road trip! Dean is very knowledgable about the history and workings of the Hoover Dam, Boulder City and the new bridge which we also visited. Everything about the tour was well done, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great 1/2 day adventure away from the glitz of Las Vegas. Hoover Dam is truly an amazing example of American engineering, ingenuity and hard work well done!

1 Thank lifetravelernow
Chester, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Hyper Professional, Great Tour...”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I used Dean Outdoor Adventures for a trip to see the Hoover Dam on my recent visit to Las Vegas (I was the 3rd member of the Group the reviewer Estelle mentioned below in her review!)

I pre-booked the tour before my visit, and that was a pretty painless experience. Pickup from my Hotel was also fine, and the tour was run by Dean himself.

The company is focussed at running small group tours with a lot of additional background given to the history of where you're going and the surrounding area. It has the additional bonus of the guides being locals and really knowing their stuff.

The tour itself was a very good price (around the $80 mark for a 5hr tour including entrance to the hoover dam itself) - and covered Boulder City, Lake Mead National Recreation Area, the Dam, the O'Callahan-Tillman Bridge and various random places in-between. As I am a keen photographer, Dean made a point of highlighting specific areas of interest, as well as pointing out the best vantage points for shots (that didn't have massive groups of other tourists in them).

The big difference for me though was the fact we had effectively a customised tour (as there were only 3 of us - although the maximum taken is 10) with certain key stopping points, but there were plenty of other detours or stops that you wouldn't have got with one of the big "super luxury" tour coaches. Dean is a very laid back, knowledgeable and instantly likeable person who still manages to be enthusiastic about the tours he does (even though he must have done them hundreds of times!).

In summary, superb company run by great people, offering a pretty unique service for "travellers" rather than "tourists" - couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank mjfryatt
Nashville, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The BEST Hoover Dam Tour!”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My husband and I were picked up from our hotel at 7:30 a.m. on December 26 by Dean. What an amazing wealth of knowledge! He shared information with us on Henderson and Boulder City as we made our way to the dam. It was interesting to hear how much it's been built up and the effect on the area. Beautiful view of Lake Mead on the way and a stop and walk across the O'Callahan-Tillman Bridge and wonderful narration throughout. We then proceeded to the dam where we took the tour down to the power plant. It was beautiful weather and very nice to take a small group tour, there were 5 of us total. Sure beats a bus with 80 passengers! We had a Groupon which made this wonderful tour an even better deal. If you like a more personal tour, this is the one for you! Dean will not disappoint!

Visited December 2011