“Hugs is such an understatement”

Union Pacific Railroad Bailey Yard
Reviewed 20 September 2017

You will see this yard when you visit the Golden Spike. The views from the tower are amazing.

Don't skip the film shown on the ground floor next to the gift shop. You will learn a lot.

We know someone who was sent here for training and found the yard to be world class. I don't know that much about trains, but after seeing this massive train yard and seeing trains move through them - I have a lot of respect for people working on the trains.

2  Thank Rita B
"observation deck"
in 9 reviews
"eighth floor"
in 3 reviews
"interesting place to visit"
"love trains"
in 39 reviews
"hump"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 14 September 2017

We went to the top of the Golden Spike Tower for an overview of the Bailey Yard. The floor below the top has an opened balcony for viewing. After that, we went to the glass enclosed top floor. A guide was there who answered all of our questions and explained what they did there. I was impressed of the pride he took in his work. It was really neat for me to see all the train cars, engines and tracks and learn about the humps. I really enjoyed learning about the yard. If in the area, I would definitely recommend stopping here. The brochure provided is also very informative and they have free coffee.

Reviewed 26 August 2017

This was the place I was most excited to see and it was underwhelming. I had a better experience at nearby Cody Park. I thought that it would be exciting to see so many trains moving around the yard but there was very little movement at the time we were there. The rest of the trip I would see a train and joke that it was much more exciting than Bailey Yard. I thought the tower would be a better view than it was. Even with binoculars I felt too far away from the actual movement of the trains. The worst part of the experience was the man on the 8th floor that was there to answer questions and share his knowledge. He was ONERY!!!! I tried to talk to him and he seemed offended by everything I said. I tried to back out and smooth over his hurt feelings when I said that the area was flat compared to where I am from. I tried another approach and said we were from one "Golden Spike" to another. He informed me that it wasn't gold. He also told us that not everyone comes up to see the trains. What do they come up to see? We had more fun watching the video downstairs and taking pictures with the things around the outside of the tower. Overall, a bad experience.

2  Thank Tranderso
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

5 min intro video was vey informative. View from watch tower of the yard was exceptional. Staff very helpful and informative.