“Underwhelming. :(”

Union Pacific Railroad Bailey Yard
Reviewed 26 August 2017

This was the place I was most excited to see and it was underwhelming. I had a better experience at nearby Cody Park. I thought that it would be exciting to see so many trains moving around the yard but there was very little movement at the time we were there. The rest of the trip I would see a train and joke that it was much more exciting than Bailey Yard. I thought the tower would be a better view than it was. Even with binoculars I felt too far away from the actual movement of the trains. The worst part of the experience was the man on the 8th floor that was there to answer questions and share his knowledge. He was ONERY!!!! I tried to talk to him and he seemed offended by everything I said. I tried to back out and smooth over his hurt feelings when I said that the area was flat compared to where I am from. I tried another approach and said we were from one "Golden Spike" to another. He informed me that it wasn't gold. He also told us that not everyone comes up to see the trains. What do they come up to see? We had more fun watching the video downstairs and taking pictures with the things around the outside of the tower. Overall, a bad experience.

2  Thank Tranderso
"observation deck"
in 9 reviews
"eighth floor"
in 3 reviews
"interesting place to visit"
"love trains"
in 39 reviews
"hump"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

5 min intro video was vey informative. View from watch tower of the yard was exceptional. Staff very helpful and informative.

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

If you're a rail or train buff this is definitely a not to miss location. The 90 ft tower to see the yard is outstanding and a must to view the whole operation. Costs about 5 per person.

1  Thank DK8989
Reviewed 20 July 2017

By all means visit here, via the Golden Spike Tower if you are a train lover. You will not be disappointed.

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

What a neat thing to see!! For anyone who has ever waited for a train to pass and started counting train cars as a way to pass the time, this train yard is truly something to see. THIS is where it all begins. This is where each train is "designed" and placed on the tracks. There truly is a method to the madness, and here, you get to see that method in real time!! On the day of our visit, a train of more than 130 cars was being constructed and rolled out. It was laden with military vehicles, bound for some National Guard Reserve base in the east. How exciting to think that two days from now, those vehicles will be unloaded and ready to use!! And I got to see them at step one of that process!!
This is something you should see. It gives viewers a new appreciation for the amount of work and organization it takes to move goods across this country!

1  Thank VanEsq12