“Good experience!”

Sam Bass Saloon & Steakhouse
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 23 September 2017

We ate here while staying the night at the attached Motel 6. We enjoyed the decor of the restaurant - it was unlike most places we're used to on the West coast. Food was good and the prices seemed reasonable. Saloon has a juke box which was in use by the local hippy dead-head fan. :)

Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

It was late, the service was great! The soup even better and the best pork chop we ever had! Even got a small loaf of hot bread.
Pork chop (thick/bone in), cup of soup with homemade steak fries
Bowl of the soup and a salad
All for under $26.00!

Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

Visited the lounge twice ,the first was on my birthday a year ago.They have a great atmosphere and the best hamburger I've ever tasted. Their selection of beers and liquor are more than average.. Service is excellent. Only complaint I have , is NO steak sandwich...... It is Nebraska....

Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

This is called a Steakhouse? Why are there only two steaks on the menu? When I first walked in after it opened, hot diggity! All kinds of great tasting steaks! The service was excellent! The food was good. It's a nice place. But it's more of a bar than a steakhouse. Plenty of cold beer if that's what you're looking for.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

Commemorating the outlaw who robbed the Union Pacific in 1877 in what is said to be the largest heist the UP ever suffered, the Sam Bass Saloon & Steakhouse is an alternative to the chains that usually predominate at truck stops and, as such, promises a bit of home cooking, or, at least, a change from ordinary corporate fare. Unfortunately, the Saloon did not live up to such expectations. The previous reviewer, who has had far more experience with the place than I, bemoaned its declining quality. I cannot speak for what it was, only what it has become, and I fear I have to agree with her assessment.

A saloon and steakhouse should have, well, good beer and steaks. The three draft selections (other than Bud and Bud Light) were all wheat beers, an odd choice. Bottled beers are available, but I prefer taps any time. Whatever I chose was fine. My sirloin steak, ordered medium rare, came out medium, smaller than I would have anticipated, and tasteless, which complemented the equally tasteless salad. My wife had a pork steak (it doesn't appear on the .pdf version of the menu I've seen but was available in the fleisch), which she pronounced serviceable. The service was fine, but, situated in the booming Big Springs Flying J truck stop, a roadside attraction in itself, the place feels like a missed opportunity.