“Road trip to Glacier Park”
Review of Johnson's Cafe

Johnson's Cafe
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Saint Mary
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed 30 August 2017

Our Red Bus tour guide recommended this restaurant. We were hungry when we arrived and stuffed to the gills when we left. They serve a family style meal and the potions are huge. prices reasonable as well.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

When a restaurant starts around 1957 and is still being run by the same family, they must be doing something right. While staying in St Mary, we stopped at Johnson's for dinner, twice. You get there up a steep road off of US 89, just past the entrance to Glacier National Park. The building is a genuine log building decorated with actual farm implements from the family and friends. Quaint and clean. One night I had a chocolate shake, fried chicken dinner which comes with soup, homemade bread, cole slaw and 3 pieces of VERY crisp chicken along with mashed potatoes and gravy. Their only description for the soup is "good soup" -- and it is. That evening it was basically a vegetable beef soup - very good. The chocolate shake was served in a pint Mason jar -- good but not remarkable. Very crisp and good chicken. A very satisfying meal. The second evening I had the 184 (or some similar number) burger. Good burger with their own sauce, tomato etc. served on their homemade bread which is EXCELLENT. And a side of their "good soup"....mmmmm. One highlight was the cinnamon bun sundae... a delicious sundae on top of a homemade cinnamon bun... with caramel and chocolate sauce. Wonderfully decadent. There aren't many places to eat in St Mary and this is probably one of the best choices you could make. This is a "laid back" place -- not fancy but just darn good food and good service. Be sure to read their history and stories on the menu. I wish I had had a chance to try their chicken fried steak. I think you'll like this place.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

I give the food 4 stars, but the wait staff gets 5 stars! They were awesome, down to earth, and so friendly. If I would've known how wonderful that soup/chili and bread was, I would've just eaten that and not even ordered anything! I got the new York strip, it had amazing flavor, but I feel like the quality of the steak wasn't very good. My husband got the pork chops with the apples. They were delicious, but he said the same thing about the quality of the meat. Still, I would highly recommend this place!

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

Ran into 2 bikers in Cody that raved about the food at this place. Decided that we had to give it a try. So very glad we did. It's a step back in time. The food is homemade and delicious. The homemade soup and bread are great. If you want an out of the way place with great food, go here ... you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

Great food and lots of it! Daily specials for $18.50, but all menu selections are reasonably priced. I'm not sure why people would eat at the expensive lodge when Johnson's is such a better value. We've been here 5 days, and we've already eaten here twice. And we've had plenty of leftovers both times.