“Best mining experience in Montana”

Gem Mountain Sapphire Mine
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Philipsburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Gem Mountain Sapphire Mine and the Montana Sapphire Store - Wash Gravel Find Montana Sapphires. Direct from the Mine: Montana Sapphire Gemstones and Jewelry. Sapphire Mine Open Seasonally: Memorial Weekend to Labor Day weekend. Wednesday through Saturday. Our Gallery is open Year Round, 7 days a week( major holidays excluded) in Beautiful Downtown Philipsburg, MT. Indoor gravel washing, heat treating, faceting, Montana Sapphire Gemstones and Jewelry direct from the mine. Rocks, fossils, crystals and more. We also have Philipsburg clothing and many Made in the USA, Made in Montana, and Made in Philipsburg, MT items.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

So much fun! Staff is so helpful both during the mining and the evaluation. You will find sapphires. No question. If you are not able, ask the staff to help you. Don't forget to tip the staff.

1  Thank Randall P

Reviewed 18 August 2017

purchased 3 small buckets and got 8 sapphires to facet(cut). It is a amazing experience if you like jewelry. I send my gems to Mike Maki in Helena to make rings, pendants, earrings, and bracelets for us.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

On a very hot day in early August, 2017, we finally made it to Gem Mountain! After two years of planning, and it was worth it! Twenty five dollars per bucket (current price), you get to look for your own gems. If you don't have time to finish, they will bag up your remaining gravel to take home so you can continue looking for sapphires, only a buck per bag (worth it). We found over 18 carets while we were there, and many many more once we got home. Tip - before you go, stop by your local Michaels or Hobby Lobby and pick up a magnifying glass (some have built in lights) to help you see the gems. Most of the workers were wonderful (except for the slightly rude but very pretty blond young woman - she will know who I am talking about). A very nice young man showed us how to properly wash the gravel and we found three sapphires immediately with his help. Now, what to do with the 200 or so carets of beautiful gems! Actually Gem Mountain web site will tell you how to finish off your gems. Can't wait to go again.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

We had a great time purchased the mega jug for $199. Took all 4 of us about 3 hours to go through and found lots of saphirres.

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

I went down to gem mountain in the hopes of getting a nice sapphire to put into an engagement ring. I stayed in Philipsburg which is a quaint but enjoyable town set in the middle of the beautiful rolling plains of Montana. We drove down to the mine location which is about 30 mins from this downtown store. The mine location is out in the open air so prepare for the sun and being outdoors, but it's a much more authentic and unique experience. The staff there were really friendly and very helpful. We got the mega jug because I figured it was my best chance of getting a great stone. We got a few good pieces but alas not one I thought I could use for a ring, so I decided to buy a loose stone they had there which was already treated and cut. This was where they really excelled with customer service. Jody was so helpful and patient walking us through the stone buying experience and really showing us what to look for, zero sales pressure to up sell and you can tell she genuinely loved gems and wanted to get us the best one for us. Highly recommend would do it again. Oh and when you go by the mine be sure to throw the ball for Hannah the border collie or she'll give you the cutest puppy eyes till you throw it