“Best place to sTay near Glacier National park”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Little Bear Lodge

This is in the fall when the Larch trees turn bright yellow right before they fall off.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Very good - based on 9 reviews

Reviews from our community

Youandme0
“Best place to sTay near Glacier National park”
Reviewed 12 May 2019 for a stay in June 2017

The owners were excellent and very friendly. I hill recommend her breakfast and lunches best food around for 50 miles. Cabin was lovely and we saw all kinds of wildlife. The kids and I watched a doe giving birth outback. Wonderful experience! I will stay here anytime I'm in the area.

Date of stay: June 2017
13 May 2019
Thank you very much...obviously you are welcome anytime
Thanks again

Doug and Mimi
257susang
Marathon, Florida
“The best cabin ever!!!”
Reviewed 26 August 2017 for a stay in July 2017

The cabin is nestled in a wooded setting away from everything. The owner's home is nearby but does not in any way impinge upon your privacy. Doug and Mimi are the most hospitable, friendly and just all around wonderful couple. And Mimi can cook up a storm! Her breakfast dishes are out-of-this world scrumptious. My husband said we had to leave because he was gaining too much weight! The features of the cabin are 2 bedrooms (1 upstairs and 1 down), a full size refrigerator/freezer, microwave, toaster oven, frying pan and coffee maker. The living room area is comfortable, and there's a high top table with chairs for dining in this room. Although we didn't have air conditioning, there were several fans and that worked just fine. Doug and Mimi recommended places to see and things to do as well as dinner dining options. This couple couldn't have been nicer, and we absolutely loved, loved, loved this place. We would definitely come back here.

Date of stay: July 2017
27 Aug 2017
Thanks so much..we feel like we have 2 new friends. We are so happy to have met y'all ..so glad you enjoyed the cabin, food and surroundings of mt.
Hope you come back soon and we will keep in touch
Kristy V
Los Angeles, California
“Cute cabin in the woods...be wary of owner”
Reviewed 17 August 2017 for a stay in August 2017
people found this review helpful

First let me state that I was going to give this cabin 4 stars, but after dealing with the owner, I can only give it 2 stars. Beware if you stay here, the owner, Mimi, is a bit obsessive. She has a rule book of about 30 rules, I personally have never seen this kind of detail ever in all my vacation rental travels. She will take your credit card information to have "on file" and then use it for any little thing she deems as broken. We were charged for a crack in a coaster that we didn't even know was broken. And she accused us of deliberately trying to hide it. :( She seems a bit quick to make judgements.

Now for the good... the cabin itself is in a beautiful area in Kila. It's a bit off the beaten path, so be prepared to drive way back in the woods to get to it. I, personally, loved the location! It is so quiet, has dark skies, and lots of beautiful wildlife. The cabin is small, but very cute. Lots of little touches make it very homey. The owner, Mimi, is very crafty so just about everything you see in the cabin is for sale. She has ornaments, homemade vanilla, photos on the wall, etc. They have bear spray for sale ($40) if you choose to use that while you hike. It's pretty convenient. Upon arriving, we met Doug and Mimi. Both seemed very friendly.

For the inconvenient...the cabin has a poor plumbing system. The water in the bathroom sink does not drain quickly enough and fills up while you're trying to brush your teeth or wash your face. The water that comes from the shower head randomly gets very cold for about a minute and then goes back to a normal temperature. The cabin is not noise friendly. You hear every little creak and step. It's especially bad if you have someone sleeping just above you in the loft. The loft bed is creaky and anytime someone turns over, it is loud. You hear each footstep. We learned to deal with these inconveniences, but probably wouldn't recommend for more than 2 people. For a couple, it would be fine. No one to keep you up all night while you're listening to the cabin noises.

I can't recommend this cabin based on the interaction with the owner. At first impression, she is very sweet. But after reading all the rules and then being charged for a nominal item (that we didn't even know about), we were disappointed in this rental. I also can't deter people from renting because someone else may have a completely positive experience. This is why I gave it 3 stars, right in the middle.

Date of stay: August 2017
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
22 Aug 2017
Our rebuttal to Kristy Viera:
1.. (Beware of owner)..kind of harsh!
2..Book in cabin..is for the safety of our guests..6 items not 30..ie..trash to be put on owners deck because of wildlife..no fires as we are in high fire area, caution on stairs in early a.m.as there may be frost,etc. Other info in book about attractions, resturants, etc. with phone numbers to make reservations!
3. Credit card info on file in lieu of a damage deposit to keep out of pocket expenses low for our guests.
The cc is ONLY used if damage occurs! Kristy stated that I charge for whatever I " deem" broken. My question is how do you deem something broken...either it is broken or not.
The item was a coaster in a set of 4 matcHong and I only charged her for one... $10.00..with me absorbing the other $30.00 b/c they can only be bought in a set of 4. Also, it was found in the bedroom turned upside down so I could not see that it was broken!
There was NO accusation that Kristy hid the break..in an email to me she stated that her husband replaced the items on the table.
4. She stated" off the beaten track...be prepared to drive way back into woods to get to it"...advertised as " Cozy cabin in the woods "! It is located 3/4 mile off the paved road on a gravel road!
5. Only a few items in cabin are for sale..I am an artist!
6. Bear spray not for sale...it is there for convenience and safety of our guest's and is only asked to be replaced if used! Never happened!
7. Plumbing is fine, checked at beginning of every season. We have an " on demand" water heater so no problems there!
Also, no sink issues.
8. This is a log cabin for goodness sake...some creaks expected. Not a condo in the city!
9. Loft is a loft and is above first floor...bed in the loft is normal not loud.
10. Your recommendation on how many guests is not asked for!
11. My character assassination was not at all necessary.
Mimi and Doug O'Neill , owners
Winter Y
Deerfield
“Excellent hosts!”
Reviewed 13 August 2017 for a stay in August 2017
person found this review helpful

My boyfriend and I stayed here while visiting the area. The cabin is located away from the crowds of Glacier National Park but is located perfectly for day trips into the park. The cabin was clean and cozy. We enjoyed watching the deer outside from the deck. Doug and Mimi are great hosts and we definitely recommend this place if you like to stay where it's quiet and peaceful. Also, she has a very detailed, hand written book of places to visit and eat in the area. Every time we strayed from the list of restaurants she recommended we regretted it. I suggest taking pictures of the notes so you can refer to them while out and about. She knows what she's talking about. All in all, the only regret we have in staying there was having to leave. We had a great vacation!!

Date of stay: August 2017
kheyob33
Waynesville, Ohio
“Wonderful cabin”
Reviewed 28 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016
person found this review helpful

Kyle and I had a wonderful stay at Little Bear Lodge. Wanting to be close to Glacier National Park for our honeymoon, Kila was the perfect option! The property is within a short drive of Kalispell and within an hour of GNP, but still provided the privacy and seclusion of being out in the country. We took a hike just outside of the cabin and saw deer nearly every morning and evening. Mimi makes a delicious breakfast, we recommend the quiche! Both Mimi and Doug were very welcoming hosts and went above and beyond, even making us a Montana stone souvenir with our wedding date.

All in all, our stay was fantastic and we would love to visit again!

Date of stay: September 2016
Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Privacy, seclusion, the wood stove
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
30 Sep 2016
Thanks so much Katie and Kyle. We enjoyed having you. Please come back and see us maybe for an upcoming anniversary.

Doug
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.