Lamplighter Motel
US$101
US$93
ComfortSuites
La Quinta Inn & Suites Helena(Helena)(Great Value!)
US$108
Jorgenson's Inn & Suites(Helena)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$163
US$158
US$127
Baymont Inn & Suites Helena(Helena)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$147
US$143
US$234
US$225
Hotels.com
US$137
Hotels.com
Days Inn Helena(Helena)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$105
All reviewsresidential neighborhoodchain hotelscabinaccommodationsstatecomfortmicrowave
Reviewed 28 September 2017

The Lamplighter reminded me of what road weary travelers hoped to find in the 50s along America's byways before interstates and chain-hotels became the norm. I had an incredibly cute little single-room cabin (for like $60) that was cozy and warm, had a great bed and tv and tiny bathroom shower as well as microwave, mini-fridge and coffeemaker.....but before I committed, the manager/host Chris insisted on showing me the room to make sure I'd like it! Who does that any more? She was so charming and engaging - tipping me to the ABSOLUTE best bar restaurant in Helena (The Windbag Saloon) and even offering to guest me to her yoga class the next morning when she learned I was yoga exerciser. Altho they don't have an ice machine, Chris troubled herself to bring me a glass of ice from her personal residence just because that's the kind of folk she is. I loved the Lamplighter, and even tho it could stand some updating, I hope it thrives for years to come because we need these places and these people to remind us of the simpler pleasures of road travel and real human hospitality. Ignore the Comfort Inns and Hampton Inns of the interchanges and venture into town to old-timey establishments like the Lamplighter - one of the highlights of my 3000 mile 5 state driving tour of the mountainous Big Sky country. Thank you, thank you Chris.

Room Tip: Single travelers should ask for cabin room #21
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2017

We loved the Lamplighter. We'd rented one of their cabins with a full kitchen (#25?) and were delighted with our accommodations. The room was clean and comfortable, the staff was exceptionally friendly, the television had great reception, the location was excellent for the sites we wanted to see in Helena and was convenient to every type of shopping we needed, and we saw a deer about 1/2 block from the hotel. The only issue we had was the that the kitchen did not include any cooking or eating utensils - thankfully we'd been camping prior to our visit to the Lamplighter and therefore were carrying all the kitchen gear we needed. We'd definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2017

I hesitated to book this because the reviews here were so very mixed, even though it was the location and price that we wanted. But I was so glad that I did--our cabin was very clean, with new carpets and bedspreads and pretty comfortable beds. There was a problem with the door latch, but the manager on duty fixed it immediately. It's tucked into a residential neighborhood and is very quiet. Evidently it's popular as short-term housing for legislators, lobbyists, etc. Not a lot of kitchen equipment, but you could handle simple breakfasts and ready-to-eat meals. We'd happily recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

I was appalled at the level of grime and dirt in the room we were given . I would be totally embarrassed if I was the owner of this motel . It has the potential to be adorable , but alas .. another bit of history being run into the ground . I will not. E staying there again .. ever ...

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank thevintagebelle
Reviewed 8 June 2017

My wife wanted to book this motel, first for price then for the fact that we would have our own cabin. The pictures made the place look really good and the reviews also seemed good. So we booked it at $78.00 for the Cabin. When we arrived, the person who was handling the desk was taking a nap, her husband had to wake her up - approx. 5pm. She did apologize many times. It took her approx. 10 minutes to book me in. Instead of taking a deposit, she charged my credit card for the room even though it was paid for through Hotels.com. Once she fixed that, she then gave me a receipt for $68.00 - the price charged to Hotels.com - I had no idea why. When I got to the room, they had us booked in one of the Hotel type rooms, instead of a cabin. I did not go in and just drove back to the office. They changed the room to a cabin.
When we went into the cabin we were in for a surprise. Upon first impression I wanted to leave, but my wife was not feeling well and did not want to travel anymore.

Some of the reviews said the cabins are dated - our unit was past dated, it should have been renovated 10 years ago. The front door could be locked by the handle, but the door was so warped the dead bolt could not be used. Both windows had no locks or boards that could be used to secure them. Blinds were dirty. Laminate and carpet was dirty. Walls were wooden slats that needed to be repainted. We did not have showers as the shower stall was extremely small and VERY DIRTY - the corners and edges had a dirt build-up and the floor drain was 1/2 covered with dirt. The bathroom floor overall was clean except for the corners, behind the door and behind the toilet. I had to wipe down the toilet before we used it - there was water spots (I hope).
We pulled the bedspread off before sitting on the bed as it was very old and in poor shape - definitely time for new ones. As with everything else, it is time for a new bed.
This property definitely needs to update their pictures as the ones on the listing are deceiving.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple