Ok, this is not by the road going to YNP. So, no, Crevice Mountain is not conveniently reached. There are plenty of indistinct buildings by the road in Gardiner in case that is what you are looking for. Yes, there are mosquitoes, and God Forbid, even wildlife roaming around the grounds, and if this is a problem, i suggest you get a nice DVD about the park and enjoy it in the quiet of your climatized living room.
This is what we got out of Crevice Mountain:
- Gorgeous views: looking across YNP like you have never seen (unless you have driven up inside the park for a couple of hours);
- Great hikes just around your cabin. Just go and explore. You will find yourself amidst amazing flowers, birds, animals - the cabin is less than 400m to the boundary of YNP!
- Fantastic history. Both Gardiner and Crevice Mountains were active mining settlements and in your hikes you will find remnants of a bygone era...
- Great attention: Cheryl is a great host, always guessing your wish, like: just walk there to see the sunset... go now otherwise it will be gone... or the sunny side up egg (from her own chickens!) my son craves for.
- Comfortable beds for a solid night of sleep: yup cabins are small, but the ZZZs are guaranteed! Maybe being st 8400 ft helps!!!
- horseback riding at your doorstep... don't miss it!
Having lived in and travelled around MT, this is the most real Montana experience you will ever had. Not many places have the combination of beauty, secrecy, history, nature and comfort. Two things you MUST DO while up at Crevice Mountain:
- enjoy a fire outside: drink a beer, have your kids enjoy S'mores (if you don't know it - just wikipedia it!)
- go outside from 11pm in July and look up to see the MOST LIT UP SKY, with planet, stars, shooting stars, for an unforgettable view.