“Beautiful mountain retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gardiner
Crevice Mountain Lodge
Reviewed 25 July 2016

Leave the crowds to find this beautiful and solitary place; it feels like stepping back in time. The host is a gem and will take care of you in every way. The food is excellent, the hiking is terrific. The view across the plateau is unparalleled, with hundreds of miles of completely unspoiled nature: not a road or building in sight. As you might have gathered from a different person's review, this isn't for everyone. If you are looking for a Hilton with concierge service, go somewhere else. It isn't rustic in the trendy style sense; it's a set of honest mountain cabins with a hundred years of history. As to the road: it's a pretty normal mountain dirt road. Take it slow, steer around the rocks and you'll be fine. A 4WD will certainly help. Plan on it taking you at least 30 minutes to make it up the mountain. One minor correction: listing says no kitchen facilities in cabin, but there is a decent wood-burning stove (bring a cast-iron skillet and cook away), as well as a kettle and coffee maker. What else do you need?

Can't recommend it enough. This was the perfect place for us; our only regret was that we weren't able to stay longer.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank dlovegrove
cherylstandish, Owner at Crevice Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2016

Thank you :) The county did bring up some road material finally now in October so the road is a better. I love sharing this place with the people it's made for. Like you said, it's not for everyone but it is real ! :)

Reviewed 23 January 2016 via mobile

I wish I could give six stars to Crevice Mountain Lodge. The proprietor went out of her way to make my wife and our two young kids comfortable and well fed. This place overlooks Yellowstone! Stare off into the park; explore her property; build a bonfire; go back for seconds (or thirds!) at dinner.

It's all right there and we can't wait to go back and visit.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank Peterschrappen1
cherylstandish, Owner at Crevice Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2016

It was great having your family and it's nice to know that we can help children experience fun without electronics.

Reviewed 24 August 2015

Very surprised to see someone have such an attitude and give a "terrible" rating for this wonderful place. I was actually there at that same time and felt the need to submit my own review. Both times I've stayed here Cheryl has been a very gracious host.

Yes, the road going up is steep and bumpy in places but it is safe and wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass each other. Just slow down a bit and enjoy the journey. Cheryl made sure we were aware of the road prior to booking.

Yes, there are mosquitos but its hard to find a place that doesn't have them. I put on a little repellent and enjoyed hours of peace on the porch after dinner.

This is a very beautiful and peaceful place. I appreciate the fact that Cheryl takes pride in the history of the mountain and we enjoyed talking with her and learning about her experiences up there.

The home-cooked meals were wonderful with breakfast at your requested time and dinner at 6:30pm. The cabins are rustic, clean, and cozy. The views from the top of the mountain are incredible.

Horseback riding is available a few miles away but we did not take advantage of that.

I look forward to my next trip up that way and will surely stay at Crevice Mountain if there is availability.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank aa-hpwillis

Thank you so much :) I have enjoyed visiting with you both. I look forward to your return:)

Reviewed 14 August 2015

We had the great pleasure to stay with Cheryl for our entire Yellowstone trip - 6 nights. We stayed in the First Chance cabin which is equipped with two bunks and a queen with ample pillows and blankets. The bathroom has a stand up shower, sink and toilet as well as plenty of places and hooks for your belongings. We used the wood stove two nights to take off the chill. The cabin was simple, but clean and neat. All we needed was a place to lay our heads and wash - who wants to spend time inside when you are at Yellowstone's doorstep!

Our meals were excellent home cooking. Cheryl found little ways to accommodate our picky eater. We kept Cheryl informed about whether we would be out early and would miss breakfast, and whether we would be in for dinner at 6:30. It was nice to meet other families and chat at breakfast and dinner about what we all saw, and what the day's plans were.

Do not kid yourself about the road up and down. It takes a solid 30 minutes. It can be done in a regular car, but was so easy in our Jeep. Consider getting an AWD or 4WD. We saw wildlife on the road up and down almost every day. From CML we were able to get to all of the Junctions in the park that we wanted: Mammoth, Canyon, Roosevelt, Old Faithful, Norris, West Yellowstone, Silver Gate and the Lamar Valley.

If we needed anything, we just asked, and if Cheryl had it, we got it. She is an excellent host and a kind person. We feel lucky to have the chance to get to know her. She was patient and so kind to our kids, ages 12 and 10. They adored Smokey the cat, and were tearful at leaving him behind.

The Lodge property is just perfect for forgetting the world. You are so far away from everything. You can see forever, and what you see is breathtaking. The silence is almost loud. The wildflowers along the trails surrounding the property are beautiful. There is plenty of space to explore.

Thanks so much, Cheryl for making our stay so special.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Mick F
Reviewed 15 July 2015 via mobile

I am not sure what planet everyone else is living on but my experience here was terrible. Our 4 night once in a lifetime Yellowstone trip turned into one night on Crevice Mountain & one night in the park. We were so excited for this trip. The road going up there is horrendous. Our 17 year old daughter was crying halfway up because she was terrified. No guard rails. Big boulders in the road. Steep inclines. Only room for one vehicle in most spots. We knew it was a big mistake halfway up but couldn't turn around because there was no room. Rocks ripped off part of our front protective shield on our van. It's a wonder we didn't lose our transmission. We saw no chickens. No campfire. The Mosquitos were swarming so we couldn't sit outside. The cabins were cozy and fine if they were anywhere else. I'm not quite sure where people were hiking to. There was a short walk to the edge of the mountain. Worse yet, we had to eat the cost of our deposit because Cheryl would not reimburse us & there was no way our vehicle was going back up there. We had to cut our Yellowstone visit short because we had no place to stay. The chicken was good she cooked but the peas were from a can, the pasta bake I could have done & I'm no cook. We had water for dinner. We can't even get lemonade or Kool-Aid? It wasn't exactly a "home cooked" meal. Do as you want but I wouldn't stay here again unless I want to go to a Bible revival meeting because Cheryl preaches the word to you the whole time you're there but then doesn't do the "Christian" thing & return the money she owes. Good luck to anyone who takes this treacherous journey up that awful mountain.

Stayed: July 2015
5  Thank JuliePoHo
cherylstandish, Owner at Crevice Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2015

Crevice Mountain Lodge is a secluded getaway. While this guest may have had an issue with the road, hospitality and guest's comfort is our number one concern. I did try all evening to obtain other
lodging for this guest but she would not be appeased. The cabin sat empty for 2 days that I could not book on short notice and did not charge them for. The alluded to "can of peas" was a special request of the mother of an 18 month old.This review is not in keeping with the majority of guest reviews and should be viewed as such.