All reviewsmissouri riverbeautiful historic hoteljunior suitemontana historycentury hotelmodern convenienceswalk along the rivergreat view of the riverhistorical markerslewis and clarkpedestrian bridgesmall townhotel restaurantthird floorcomfortable roomsroom was largefresh fruit
Reviewed 5 March 2018

I've just returned from a weekend retreat here at the Grand Union. The property was beautiful; the staff - oh my gosh were they fabulous. They treated us like family. When you see employees who genuinely enjoy their jobs, it shows - every person I encountered was genuinely happy to be there.

The beds were SO comfortable - honestly wondered how to get those home with us.

We arrived Friday night and were warmly welcomed by the property owner who has done an amazing restoration job on the place. You can see the dedication to authenticity in the rooms.

On Saturday evening, we met the chef who has been with them since about Thanksgiving. The worst thing about the food was I didn't have room for all of it. It was SO good!

The staff helping with breakfast were very quick to make sure all our needs were met. And oh my goodness, did we eat! Lunch was ginger carrot soup that was really very good, along with a chicken salad sandwich on a croissant. And again, I can not say enough how good the food was. We had Saturday afternoon snacks - freshly made pretzels, baguette slices and a large tray with several kinds of cheese on it. Not much is better than a fresh, warm pretzel, I think. Then supper - all the food prior to this was fantastic, but put to shame by supper. My steak was cooked just like I wanted, the salad was fantastic with their homemade dressing. I realize I'm raving about food mostly. It was a big part of our stay.

Saturday evening, before our last session of the day, the owner came in and filled us in on some of the history of the hotel - making our stay more special for knowing this additional information. The owner and her family have put so much time and love into recreating the past in this place.

Unfortunately, our stay was during a snow covered weekend, but this did not seem to dampen any of our excitement. A church lady retreat with between 43 and 46 ladies. We had the entire place to ourselves, and I believe we could not have been more welcome nor more well taken care of had we been beloved family members.

Thank you all for your efforts on our behalf. We enjoyed ourselves more than you may know, and I will forever recommend the Grand Union, their staff and the amazing dining knowing that any person going there will be well taken care of.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank hlquig
Reviewed 13 February 2018

The staff were very friendly and provided top notch customer service. The hotel has so much character based on the age so provides an interesting aspect that way. I look forward to a summertime visit to see how it looks as opposed to winter.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2018

This hotel is spectacular. There's a patio outside, just a stones throw from the river.
A very solid restaurant inside. The rooms are beautiful, ours was very large.
Service on the patio, having a beer before dinner, was quick and friendly. We had two young ladies helping with our dinner service. Dinner was very tasty, With little competition in the area, I was surprised at what a great job everyone was doing.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

My wife and I purchased the New Year’s Eve package at the Grand Union. Things could not have been better! The dinner was excellent with great choices and attentive wait staff. We stayed in a Junior Suite which was all we could have hoped for. It was well appointed and very comfortable. The outside temperature was -22 yet the hotel was warm throughout. I have a strong affinity for old western hotels and the Grand Union is one of my favorites!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank jehansen61
GU1882, Front Office Manager at Grand Union Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Thank you and we do hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 5 November 2017

Excellent, full service venue for a small business meeting / retreat. From the owner, event coordinator, front desk staff, servers, chefs, and environmental care team, everyone was professional, friendly, and went out of their way to make our weekend meeting / retreat a success. The food is fabulous and service exceptional. Comfortable rooms and beds, with great views. We will come back!

Room Tip: Corner suites have beautiful views.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business