“A good cleaning could really improve this place”
Review of Pioneer Lodge

Pioneer Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fort Benton
Pioneer Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Fort Benton
Helena, Montana
“A good cleaning could really improve this place”
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I chose to make reservations at the Pioneer Lodge because I was trying to save my clients some money (I was in town for work), but if I was on my own dime, there's no question I'd stay down the street at the Grand Union. Yes, the Pioneer Lodge is only $60, so I don't expect fancy, and the out-of-date decor doesn't even both me. But what does bother me are rooms that are in serious need of some attention from a vacuum and duster. The vents and walls had visible accumulated dirt (I'm talkiing black marks on the walls and vents so fuzzy it looked like a small animal hanging on the ceiling), carpets and upholstery that I don't think had ever seen more than a cursory vacuum (again, visible black marks and other assorted grossness) and mold on the shower curtain. And then there's the common area--a DISGUSTING microwave that I was afraid to warm up tea water in and the owner's yappy dog that is allowed to run down the hallway. The manager is friendly and the place could be a great value if it was just cleaned up. A little funky, yes, but funky is ok. Dirty is not. Yuck--stay somewhere else. If the Grand Union is too rich for your blood, Great Falls is 35 minutes away. I really hope the management puts some time and effort into a cleanup because this place could be a good option, but until they invest some serious elbow grease, I won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outside window (the rooms with lofts have them on the upper level) and climat...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank stlawraj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I found this hotel quiet and comfortable. I did not notice the dust in the corners, my room seemed very clean. The owners were very friendly. The price was right and it is located right next to the "bloodiest block in the west" and the Missouri River walkway is right accross the street. I was able to enjoy a nice history walk and night out on the town and didn't have to drive!

Room Tip: I was in room 3 but I would guess all of the rooms are fine.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Great spacious room for 4 adults. Queen bed downstairs and full bed up in the loft. Our best night's stay on our vacation. Location couldn't've been better--right on the Missouri in historic Fort Benton.

• Stayed August 2011
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 24 June 2010

My Mom and I made a trip to the area for a class reunion. A simple upkeep of the facilities would have greatly improved the experience. It was a great location, and has great access to the river, but it was overpriced for the quality. Unfortunately there is only one other choice. Spend the extra and take the other choice.

• Stayed June 2010
3 Thank tamaramac
Kansas City
Reviewed 6 November 2008

As the other reviews say, the owners are very friendly. The room's floors, bedding, bathroom was clean, but thick dust has collected in areas that obviously do not get attention. There is not a microwave or coffee maker in the room, so i ventured to the hallway (which is where their breakfast/coffee area is) to use the public microwave, but did not since it was disgustingly dirty with food and fingerprints inside and out! So much for trying to warm up with hot instant cocoa. Why was i cold? Because the room i stayed in (number 1) gives you no control over the heat. I had a hard time sleeping and ended up taking all the bedding off the other bed in the middle of the night because i was so cold. For the price, i did not want to complain too much. But, then in the morning, i thought i'd at least i'd get a hot shower to start the day- NO! I let that water run for 5 minutes, and still no hot water! aaarrrgh! Breakfast?! Powdered donuts and room temperature fruit juices (because they don't keep it on ice and just leave it sitting out in this hallway i mentioned before). I don't mind taking the cheap route sometimes, but this was ridiculous. Next time i'll pay the extra money for the Grand Union just down the street.

• Liked — The price and the owners friendliness and helpfulness
  • Disliked — No heating in the room, no hot water for shower, disgusting breakfast/coffee area
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank arkkawmo

Been to Pioneer Lodge? Share your experiences!