“Such a special place!”

Ranked #1 of 264 Restaurants in Bozeman
Price range: US$35 - US$70
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Hundreds of excellent online reviews, local word of mouth, and foodies all agree that South 9th Bistro is the best of Bozeman for a relaxed, fine dining experience. Located just south of Main Street on 9th Avenue, the Bistro is easy to find - by day, by its distinctive orange Victorian facade, and by night, by its many windows aglow with the warmth and comfort of the space within. Seating at the Bistro is available both inside and (seasonally) outside. Inside the Bistro, seating on the main floor is open and upbeat, while seating on the second floor is a bit cozier and more intimate. The second floor also features a separate private dining area that can comfortably accommodate up to 10. The Bistro's kitchen is under the direction of Chef Ryan Trenton. Our seasonal dinner menu is broad in scope, featuring dishes such as Steak au Poivre served with dauphinoise potatoes and Pan-seared North Atlantic Salmon with lemon- caper beurre blanc and wild rice. The menu also offers vegetarian options such as Ratatouille with polenta and sauteed haricots verts, and Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli served with a sage-marsala butter sauce and carrot-ginger mousseline. All of our menu items are fresh, scratch-made in-house. We also feature numerous gluten-free options. The Bistro also offers a full selection of wines, beers and port. South 9th Bistro is open for dinner Tuesday through Saturday, from 5:00pm. Reservations are recommended. Dinner fare is available for take-out during dinner hours. South 9th Bistro: Great Food, Great Service, no excuses
Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

I'm sad to say this was only my second visit to the bistro. If I lived in bozeman I would have to eat here weekly. The ambiance is so inviting and pleasant. Unlike other bozeman restaurants this place is not overly crowded or loud. It is romantic without being pretentious. The service is great. They are so friendly and actually let you enjoy the experience. They are prompt without rushing you out the door. The food is omg amazing. I have worked in fine dining for over 10 years and this place has some of the best food I've ever had. If you don't enjoy yourself you are just wrong and uninformed. The owner is extremely nice and easy to talk to. I just can't say enough nice things about this place!

2  Thank Alex R

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Darling restaurant in a quaint neighborhood by MSU. Fantastic service, atmosphere and dinner. During summer months, sitting outside is delightful.

1  Thank Molly K
Reviewed 10 April 2017

I didn't know what to expect and it exceeded my expectations. What a delightful place. The food was great. The vibe is interesting. Servers are engaging. Glad to have it as part of the Bozeman dining scene.

Reviewed 10 April 2017

Flew in late to Bozeman with another skier to spend one night there before heading to Big Sky in the morning. Our mutual friend who worked at the resort checked with some contacts who recommended this restaurant. Unimpressive form the outside, it resembled my family's former house in Arlington Virginia. We were early so we had to wait for several minutes but the host and owner brought us a couple beers in the small reception area. The dining room is small; not unlike my living room in the house I was raised. The menu was well crafted with excellent choices for a variety of guests. Two of us ordered the filet while one ordered salmon.

All of us were blown away by the quality of our dinners. I have never tasted salmon that had such a delicate texture; it couldn't have been prepared more expertly. My filet was better than any that I have enjoyed in the big chains, Ruth Chris, Sullivans, Bobs, etc. , Not only was it prepared as requested, it was moist, tender and could have been eaten with a fork. Plus, it was very large which was bad because we were stuffed. and couldn't have dessert.

The restaurant had an excellent list of local beers and non-local wine choices. the service was first rate, it was the best meal of the trip even with some excellent choices in Big Sky.

1  Thank lawboss51
Reviewed 31 March 2017

I have enjoyed every single meal I have had at South 9th Bistro from the appetizers to the dessert. The cuisine is simple yet complex. My favorite entree is probably the tenderloin of beef smothered in cognac peppercorn sauce. No, No, wait! I take that back...my favorite dish is the Salmon with lemon Buerre blanc sauce and wild rice. Oh now I just feel bad because I didn't choose the Beef Bourguignon that sits atop delicious mashed potatoes. And then there is the seafood ravioli swimming in a delicious lobster nage.... My point is its ALL good and you just can't go wrong with anything you choose from the menu. The wine list is exceptional and the desserts, especially the bread pudding with home made ice cream-are over the top!
I love this establishment so much that I have brought friends from all over the world in to experience the fine dining atmosphere. I trust Hank, Chef Ryan, Lisa and the entire staff with my friends and family and they all rave about it. Hank greets and seats every single table and speaks to them personally about their experience and if ever there is the slightest issue it is taken care of immediately. This is one of the pluses of having a smaller bistro as attention to detail is not overlooked and I know that the staff truly cares about the service and their customer's experience. Fine dining, casual atmosphere and superb food and drink!

2  Thank WayOutWestMontana