“Great barbecue ”
Review of Vernons BBQ - CLOSED

Vernons BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

About 30 minutes from airport, clean, simple and nice restaurant. So went because of reviews of bread pudding and pineapple upside down cake. Note: they change dessert menu with the seasons. Three of us ate there: smoked sausage, tofu, pulled pork, cornbread, scalloped potatoes, smoked peaches and tea. Meats were great, tofu just warmed with rubbing spice on it. Potatoes good, a little spice kick. Corn bread was good, but cold, no butter available, asked them to heat up and they said they had no way to heat up. It was great with my hot peaches on it. Peaches were very good.

Date of visit: September 2017

Reviewed 2 September 2017

A new BBQ spot opens as frequently as Starbucks or Walgreens. The problem is the BBQ joints, are totally inconsistent and don't have the proper staff running them.
Vernons is a classic example, I ordered a hot Italian Sausage (1/2 portion $7.00 full $9.00) I did not get my money's worth although the sausage made at DeGregorio's was indeed spicy it was served at room temperature. The bun was at least 3 days old. The BBQ beans with burnt ends were thick with mollasses and sweetener, had been baked to mush and if there was a burnt end, I didn't see or taste it.
My wife had a small brisket sandwich, and it really was average at best, no smoked flavor.
My brother got the sampler plate and threw most of it away. The chicken wing was as tough as a nail and sat in the warmer too long. The smoked corned beef was indedibly salty. Niether liked the tasteless corn bread or the ribs.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Turkey was moist and very flavorful. Love the mashed potatoes with brisket! Friendly staff. Five different sauces from sweet to spicy.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

We stopped by for carryout and got the sampler platter, burnt ends sandwich, and sides. The pulled pork was very good as were the smoked chicken wings! Their specialty side is a burnt end baked beans! Delicious! I will say that the ribs were a bit on the stiff side, but we may have come during a slow period and BBQ joints typically have the freshest meat during the busy times. Still would recommend and return. A nice small locally owned place!

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 17 July 2017

I'm so glad I had the experience to visit Vernon's. I ordered a half slab of ribs, cornbread and coleslaw. My kids had different sides. They had the vegetarian beans and they were very delicious. The cornbread was the best cornbread I have ever had in years. It was really close to my dad's recipe. My husband even said the cornbread was the best he has ever had. It is a hidden gem for real. They had all these different sauces, but the ribs didn't need it. They were that good on its own. I would definitely recommend this place. I will be back in St. Louis next year for a family reunion and I hope we get a chance to come back. Great food and Excellent service.

Date of visit: July 2017