“Don't waste your time”
Review of Laclede's Landing

Laclede's Landing
Ranked #34 of 65 Shopping in Saint Louis
Reviewed 21 October 2017

This is the old historic area. We thought it would be a nice place to walk around. There are a few bars and restaurants, but overall it was dead. I would not recommend going here unless you are already by the Arch or the casino and need to get something to eat. Don't make a special trip.

Date of experience: October 2017
2  Thank happywanderer856

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

In the 80s and 90s, The Landing was always hopping! Tons of bars, restaurants, theaters, galleries, not to mention people watching! We loved going down there and felt like that was the center of all the action. About 10 years had passed between visits, and I was truly stunned when I went back late last year. The area is more or less deserted!! The Spaghetti Factory was, as it always has been, wonderful! But other than that I think there is literally 1-2 small bars left. Blocks of deserted buildings surrounding dark alleys do not make for a safe area. I hope and pray the Landing makes a comeback. It is such a historic area with amazing proximity to the Arch. It's a shame that the Rams skipping town, construction on the Arch grounds, and Ballpark Village seem to have made this the forgotten wasteland. :(

Date of experience: October 2016
1  Thank DCAKdestinlove
Reviewed 16 September 2017

The Old Spaghetti Factory was great, but the rest of the area is nothing much. Only things left in the area are some bars and restaurants. It is just north of the Arch so if you go there you can easily walk here to get a bite to eat, but that is all. Also, watch out for the homeless panhandlers! It is sad to see the decline in St. Louis. Union Station is a ghost town except for the hotel and two restaurants and Laclede's Landing isn't far behind in its demise.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank LAAEastPeoria_IL
Reviewed 11 September 2017

I parked at the Biddle Street Trail Head parking lot located a block or two from Laclede's Landing. The lot, which accommodated about a dozen vehicles, was free and open to the public. From there, I walked north along the St. Louis Riverfront Trail for several miles before turning around to walk back. The trail follows the river's food wall through a heavy industrial area for about a dozen miles. During my walk I saw very few others on the trail.

Date of experience: September 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 August 2017

This is the historic, original district of St. Louis with interesting architecture, some good restaurants and bars and very close to the famous Gateway Arch. It's becoming re-vitalized, and has a lot of potential -- but it's a high theft area as well.
Police or local authorities should do more: patrol more, install cameras, or at least post "high theft area."
After our parked car -- in broad daylight -- was broken into and many valuable stolen (that were packed and hidden out of sight), the police informed us that it is a high theft area and happens regularly to parked cars with out-of-state license plates. So there's a regular theft problem in a tourist area of St. Louis -- yet it seems little is done to make this safer for tourists.

We parked on a street within site of a park area and restaurants nearby. (there was almost no paid parking lot with space available. Several were closed - permanently. otherwise we'd have paid a few dollars to park in a guarded area). We parked directly across from a bar and a permanently closed parking area.

The theft took place around lunch time on a clear day; we were parked along the street with many other local cars. We could see a steady, but small number of people walking around the area. Not the usual signs of a high theft area. In any case, posting this as if I'd known before arriving, I would have avoided Laclede's Landing entirely.

Date of experience: August 2017