“Good, but not authentic, and definitely not great”

Schneithorst's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #515 of 2,971 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Austrian, German
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Nearly 60 years ago, the present-day Schneithorst's Hofamberg Inn took up residence at Lindbergh and Clayton roads. It was the culmination of the founder, Arthur B. Schneithorst, Jr.'s dreams: a place where outstanding food and service could come together in an atmosphere equally suited to business and family dining / entertainment. But the present-day Schneithorst's isn't the beginning of the story. For that, we have to return to 1917 when his father, Arthur Schneithorst, Sr. started Benish's Restaurant at Eighth and Olive downtown. Arthur Jr. recalls eating at the downtown family restaurant every day until the Depression years finally closed its doors. His father reentered the restaurant business by opening the Rock Grill at 204 N. Eighth St. Arthur Jr. was in law school at the time, but it wasn't long before he joined his father in the family business. In 1937, the family took over the Bevo Mill, where Arthur Jr. got his first real taste of the Bavarian dining experience. When his father passed away in 1947, Arthur Jr. and his mother continued running the Bevo Mill until 1955. In the meantime, Arthur Jr. was successfully operating the separate restaurant business, handling the airport food and restaurant concession business, as well as food operations at seven Holiday Inns. Then came 1956, the year the Hofamberg Inn was born. "I was always in the right place at the right time," Arthur Jr. recalls. he purchased the land for the inn at arguably the busiest intersection in St. Louis. The location, along with the uniquely Bavarian menu and exceptional service, proved to be big factors in the restaurant's success. While Schneithorst's is known for its Bavarian atmosphere and menu, the restaurant continues to add new, lighter dishes, serving seafood and chicken as well as the traditional weinerschnitzel and sauerbraten. Today the fourth generation of the restaurant dynasty is carrying on the family tradition of good food and service in a warm atmosphere. While new ideas ensure Schneithorst's will always keep pace with today's restaurant goers, one thing will never change...a sincere desire to make your visit memorable. "We build this business by making friends. Friends for life." From the Schneithorst family to yours, many thanks for your friendship through the years.
Reviewed 21 August 2017

I flew into STL on 12 Aug 2017 and were on our way home when we came across this restaurant. At first glance, the bar was very nice, the restaurant itself is well, Im not gonna write about it cause theres not much to say.
We were one of 3 tables that afternoon and had 2 servers and yet the service to get a refill on water and/or lemonade was slow as could be. We had an appetizer of brauts n sausage and it was pretty good. I had the Schweine-schnitzel and wife had a wine soaked roast(forgot the name) wow, it was bland outside of the taste of vinegar. Sister n law had the brauts platter and was ok. We had side order of German potato salad which had 3 bites taken out of it( 1 from each adult) The red cabbage had little to no flavor at all. $119 for 3 adults and a child who ate chicken fingers. One glass of wine-so you can figure that out. My wife and I have been to Germany on 3 different occasions for weeks at a time. We are not professionals, chefs, or anything close to, but we do know authentic and this was definitely not it. So readers, if you have made it this far, and you have some time on your hands, I HIGHLY recommend La Pastorella Bistro and B&B(355 Main St, Mammoth Spring, AR 72554) You wont be disappointed!!

Reviewed 9 August 2017

I went as a group for a family Birthday. The Staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The potato cakes were great and so was the German Sausage and cheese platter. The Latte was one of the best ones I have had in a while. I ordered the Bison Burger at a medium rare and it was cooked perfectly, it was not dry and crumbly and had a great flavor. I tried the Sauerbraten and that was pretty good too.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Happy hour met everyone's needs. Mom and Dad enjoyed cold German beer. Chicken tenders and pretzel bites for our daughter. Sausage platter for mom and dad. Close to Hilton and not bad at all.

1  Thank atmcp
Reviewed 12 July 2017

We ordered the Sauerbraten and schnitzel with side salads. The schnitzel was bland and fatty with a tasteless sauce on top that was grainy. The Sauerbraten was a good as a potroast, tasty and tender however there is no way it was properly marinated since it had little or no flavor from the marinade. The spaetzle was soft and mushy with some kind of gravy on top. The real star of the dinner was the tower of onion rings. We saw them taking an order to another table and since we didn't care for our dinner we ordered the onion rings. Wow, they were the best and largest onion rings I have seen in a while. They were crispy and perfectly seasoned with a mustard dipping sauce. Still $60 for a so so meal is not worth it.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

While this is never going to be a place where you tell people, Man, I had an amazing meal. Let me tell you about it," it was solid. We wanted a nice German meal, and we got one. I had the sauerbraten, my wife had the chicken schnitzel. Both came with red cabbage and spaetzel (my wife thought the gravy on the spaetzel was a bit much). Everything was just fine, if unspectacular. It was on the expensive side, but was good enough for the money. I'd probably go back, if I was in the area and wanted German. The dessert was just fine as well.