“Found a new amazing culinary experience!”

The Tavern Kitchen and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Tavern Kitchen and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #83 of 3,116 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Big Bend
Reviewed 9 August 2016

Anniversary's are suppose to be fun, romantic and good food. Well check off all three in my recent trip to The Tavern Kitchen & Bar. Tucked away in a simple stripmall, in Valley Park, this is a easy drive by and not even give it a bit of attention.

As a culinary expert, I was impressed from the moment we sat down and the waitress brought over a chilled water bottle and the most incredible pull apart bread I have had in years. Spiced with cheese, garlic and red pepper flakes, it was a great taste buds wake up and get ready! Yum!

We choose the "Tasting Boards" which gives you Tapas Style samples of many different of the big plates. I choose the Seafood Trio. This is not your Red Lobster Trio, but 3 small plates of amazing flavor, diversity and flavors that all were amazing. Sesame Seared Ahi, Pacific Rim Peanut Crusted Salmon & Caponata Mahi Mahi.

Next was the Oak Plank of meats. Better than the seafood and had four different entrees. Pork Tenderloin Asian Style, Korean Short ribs, Chicken Saltimbocca and Meatloaf.

Next was an amazing appetizer of Lobster Gnocchi. I have always loved a good gnocchi dish but they surprised me by baking the gnocchi and then tossing the dream like pillows in luscious lobster sauce with small bits of lobster and bacon. OMG.

Service was 100% spot on with a well trained waitress and friendly as if we were family.

1  Thank Chefken69

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Parmesan crusted pulled bread to start was amazing. Gooey butter cake w blueberry ice cream to end was even better. In between good seafood. Tasty sides. Lots of options. Able to substitute if necessary. Full bar. Terrific service. Would recommend to anyone very highly.

Reviewed 31 July 2016

What a hidden treasure this place is! The restaurant is open and friendly with a good look into the kitchen. Service is fast, friendly, and excellent. And then there's the menu - flavorful food excellently prepared and presented at table. My wife had lamb and I had one of their seafood selections served over eggplant and both were wonderful! You do need reservations and it can be pricey, but you'll have a great experience here. Wow!

Reviewed 4 July 2016

About two years ago, I visited this establishment for the very first time. I thought it was wonderful from beginning to end. When we arrived, we were even greeted as out-of-state travelers... a lovely personal touch. Last week, I returned and realized my memories were more savory than a second visit. While the food was still enjoyable, I felt the meal in general was overpriced. We ordered the Surf n' Turf sushi roll as an appetizer, which was once served with lobster (it's currently served with tuna). For $18.00, it should be good and it was. For my entree, I ordered the Chicken Saltimbocca. When the dish arrived, the risotto was lukewarm at best. I mentioned to the server after a few minutes, and he took my plate back to the kitchen. By the time I received a properly warm meal, the individual I was dining with was nearly finished with her entree. I also found it took about 20 minutes to receive a refill of basic iced tea (please note: the establishment was not busy at this time). Sadly, I found the meal was not worth the price paid. With the service issues, a complimentary dessert or cup of coffee would have been a nice touch. Since I don't live in St. Louis, next time I return I'll make sure to try something new.

Reviewed 3 July 2016

The Tavern is definitely worth the price. Make sure to have a reservation, as it does fill up fast. The fish dishes are always cooked to perfection. Good selection of vegetarian options, and are always happy to accommodate if you would like it vegan. If you are a wine lover, there is a nice selection of reds and good cocktail menu (they have drink with St. Germain in it, so that was a huge plus). They really strive to keep things fresh and different.