“Quality chinese food without concern for health safety.”
Review of Hunan Restaurant

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hunan Restaurant
Ranked #53 of 221 Restaurants in Saint Joseph
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 2 February 2017

We don't get Chinese food from any other place in St. Joseph. Yes, I have sampled food from many of the competitors. Hunan's does not have a buffet, meaning that food is not prepared hours in advance, then left in warmers either in the back, or on the line. I also track the restaurant reviews by the state inspectors, and there are other Chinese places that consistently receive the same warnings and fines several times over. Hunan's rarely receives any mention in the state inspector's reports.
Their fried rice is delicious by itself. They have all the usual, popular dishes, along with some specialty house dishes. There are hot dishes, like orange beef, but they are happy to leave the peppers out at your request. Large portions are typical, so that a few dishes easily feed several adults. Quality is largely consistent, although on occasion my shrimp has been soft, rather than firm. In my opinion, this has not stopped me from ordering my favorite dish, "Happy Family," which is a mixture of seafood in a white sauce, with pea pods, bamboo, and capped mushrooms.
The mu shi is also delectable, along with the lo mein.

Reviewed 8 October 2016

Every time I eat there I leave disappointed and ask myself "why did I come here again?". I love hot and sour soup. Theirs is terrible too vinegary. The brother (CHU) of Hunans owner used to have a restaurant and his soup was amazing. I wish she would use his recipe. I have to go to Oriental Restaurant for the best Hot and Sour Soup in town. All the food here is disappointing too. Last time I was there I ordered Hunan Chicken. The photo on the menu looked like it came with lots of Green and Red Peppers. What they brought to me looked like Cashew Chicken with no cashews. Lots of celery and pretty much tasteless. I didnt complain, I just took two bites and left. The waiter looked confused and asked if I wanted a togo box for my food. I told him no, I was finished. I doubt I will ever go back unless I am desperate. Not Recommended. Go down the street south about 4 blocks to Oriental Restaurant.

Reviewed 19 August 2016

This is my FAVORITE place ever. The food is so good and the atmosphere is always nice and relaxing. Nice big booths for families and the staff is wonderful. This is a regular place to go for my family when dining out.

Reviewed 10 June 2016

my business group dined here yesterday. the service was great from Mary. the food was average in quality. they charged extra to have rice noodles to go with our egg drop soup. but that didn't our enjoyment. it did take a little too long to receive our lunch food since the place was almost empty. and they have started to serve Mexican food here also. didn't try it.

Reviewed 22 March 2016

The service was fast and the staff couldn't be nicer or more attentive. The restaurant and restroom were clean but my menu was visually disgusting. It had noticeable chunks of dried food interspersed with stains on two of the worn pages. As expected for a "Chinese" restaurant that is over 30 years old and offering dinners at $7.75, the food comes in large portions but boring and unimaginative, and there are just too many menu options.