“Absolute rip-off: exorbitant prices, tiny portions.”
Review of Oceana Traders

Oceana Traders
Ranked #18 of 44 Restaurants in Avalon Beach
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Way preferred the previous owners and their huge slabs of excellent quality fish, and chunky hand-cut crispy chips, at very reasonable prices. At nearly $100 for two adults and two kids, for just fish and chips (no prawns or anything) at home, it's completely outrageous!!!

2  Thank Cerian G

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Best fish shop in Avalon for years. Great fish,well cooked and served by a lovely friendly young lady.
They also have excellent frozen food.

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

Our first visit in 2017 was a welcome relief from the previous owners who appeared to need more experience with fish.

The original handout chips were cooked well on our first visit and our grilled barramundi was delicious. However since then, each visit is hit and miss. The change of chips was a good move. But sometimes we get home to find we’ve been given whatever left over pieces of potato are in the bottom of the fryer and sometimes they are soggy and too greasy to eat. Occasionally the fish portions are generous but more often we feel a bit ripped off. The girl serving over the weekend is super efficient and friendly. The fit out of the premises is stunning. But the chefs need to consider bringing some consistency with quality and portion sizes. Perhaps simplify the menu and get back to basics until they get it right every time. I am determined to keep trying every now and again.

Reviewed 1 February 2018 via mobile

We are blessed that this is our local fish shop. Prior to the opening I purchased fresh fish and the occasional seafood pie from Warriewood Beach Markets and you can still find their stalls there on Friday mornings.

This business sells the freshest fish and the best cooked fish and chips you could ever find. Top restaurant quality which does not leave you feeling unwell after eating. The products are all made in house and I can not recommend highly enough. Friendly family business. So lucky.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

Run the gauntlet on this place.

Currently very good for fresh tasty (but small) pieces of fish, and hand cut yummy chips.

This was on my most recent visit last month, and I pray they can continue.

To give you a bit of background about my history with the place:

About three years ago, a very bad tempered individual owned this shop. He honestly seemed to detest his customers and hold them in contempt. But he did make awesome handcut chips, and so we endured his service to buy them.

Then the shop changed hands to a lovely friendly Indian couple who were a delight to deal with. Unfortunately, the fish and chips went dramatically downhill and they started using frozen chips, and we stopped purchasing from them.

Then the shop changed hands again to current owners, and things improved. Best improvements for me were: the shop had a makeover and looked chic - it had looked rundown previously. And the fish was fresh fresh fresh and very succulent.

Sadly, on the downside, they were doing arty-farty chips, which left the skin on the potatoes. Whilst this may have been considered trendy, and easy for them to prepare, it also meant the chips were often slightly burnt and greasy, or overly crisp to the point of breaking teeth, or very bitter in taste.

However, visited again last month and discovered they had stopped doing arty-farty chips, and this time were doing proper peeled handcut chips, which were delicious.

It is expensive, as the portions are small, but it is currently the best fish and chips I have found on the Northern Beaches.

Service is not particularly friendly, but that is probably more to the fact that they are stressed from being so busy all the time.

I wonder what I will find on my next visit?!

1  Thank RosiePoseyLips