“Good hibachi, skip the sushi.”

Kitaro Bistro of Japan
Ranked #23 of 192 Restaurants in O'Fallon
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Good hibachi, skip the sushi.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

The hibachi side is your typical food and show, and is the 2nd best this side of the river. Araka is our 1st choice in St. Charles County. We have tried the sushi on 4 different visits and there's nothing wrong with it, but it's just average...nothing special. The service here is always great.

1 Thank BusinessTravlere

Missouri
“Average Meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

We had dinner here on a Sunday night. We were seated right away. I would give both the service and food 3.5 stars, average to slightly above. We would go back, but next time we want this kind of restaurant, we will probably try somewhere else.

• Visited January 2012
Westerville, Ohio
“Good choice for the area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Had dinner one night with colleagues. All you can eat sushi seemed reasonably priced, although the group elected a la carte. Meal was good and prices were reasonable. Would go back.

Visited December 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri
“What happened????”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

This has been one of our favorite restaurants since it opened. We always had good service, good food, and were regulars. We loved both sushi and hibachi here. We had not been for a few months due to work schedules. So we were both off and went today. The service was very slow. A couple at our table ordered beer and after inquiring about it twice, 15 minutes later the waitress came out and told them it wasn't available. We sat at our table for 30 minutes before the hibachi chef came out. This was lunch time, and not even busy. The chef did not put on a show. Just put the food on the grill and let it burn. I have never seen anyone cook that way. Ever. The rice was burnt and crunchy. The veggies were black on one side and raw on the other. The hibachi chef put sprinkled the seasonings on at the end of cooking with no time to let them cook with the food. Usually they add at the beginning. Ditto with the shrimp and chicken. Both were black outside, uncooked on inside. When this was brought up with the waitress, she blew the table off and said that the food was prepared the way it was supposed to be. Now I like my shrimp a little more done , bit this tasted like bunt shrimp only. The ginger sauce was a liquid with the spices floating in it. Completely different than before. Soy sauce has more taste. I don't know what happened to our old kitaro, but we really miss it. Us regulars are not sure we will go back now due to the indifference/rudeness of the staff and management of the restaurant to our tables concerns.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank mowalk
Cape Coral, Florida
“Worst Japanese steakhouse experience I've ever had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

We dined at Kitaro shortly after it opened and was impressed with the food, the show and the service. The prices were higher than most venues of this sort and they charge extra for fried rice rather than including it in the meal. But the other aspects of the dining experience made us decide we would return.

In September 2010, while in St. Louis on vacation, we made reservations for 7:30PM for the two of us to celebrate our anniversary. We arrived at 7:25 and were told there would be a short wait. At 8:30, I went back to the hostess and inquired as to what the problem was. She said asked for my name and when I gave it to her, she said it wasn't on her list. I told her it was there when we arrived, so she began looking through her trash and found it on another paper that had been discarded. She said she would seat us as quickly as possible. We sat and watched a hibachi grill with a family of four be seated and served with four empty seats, two of which we could have been seated at. At 9:15, I asked again what was the problem and why weren't we seated at that particular grill, but received no response other than "I don't know." At 9:30, we were finally taken to another grill, seated by ourselves and our orders were taken by a rude server. Less than three minutes later, the American chef arrived before we were even presented with our salads or soup and began cooking the orders. No show, no conversation, no tricks that you usually see at a hibachi grill. It was the end of the night, he was tired and didn't want to make conversation or be friendly to the paying guests. The salads and soups were barely delivered when he began putting the entrees and veggies on our plates. As soon as he had cleaned the grill, the asst. manager who had seated us came by and informed us that they were closing in 15 minutes at 10:00 and we had to be finished with our meals by then. As soon as he walked away, a cleaning crew came into the room and began deep cleaning the grills with bleach while the grills were turned on to their highest settings. A bleach vapor filled the entire room, gagging my wife and me, and making it impossible to finish our meals. We walked out of the room and settled the check at 9:55, 25 minutes after we had been seated. I asking for the manager or owner's contact information, since the asst. manager was the one who caused these problems and it would do no good to address them with him. We were given a business card of a lady to whom I wrote but never received a reply. I was told subsequently by a chef who had worked there that the place receives so many complaint calls and letters, the manager cannot deal with all of them and simply throws them in the trash - the same place our reservation ended up. I strongly recommend to anyone living in O'Fallon or visiting to stay far away from Kitaro since our issues were not from an isolated incident. We have been together for 14 years and this was absolutely the worst anniversary dinner we have ever had.

• Visited September 2010