“It All Depends on Your Tastes!”
Review of Serra Pizzeria

Serra Pizzeria
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

We visited Serra’s on a weekend trip from KC to STL. We really try to search out locally owned spots whenever possible—or at the very least, chain restaurants that we don’t have back home. Went a bit out of the way of the hotel to go to Serra Pizza based on TA reviews—There were plenty of joints closer! We were hungry for Italian and the b.f. had never had the famous STL-style pizza. Ordered toasted ravioli, spaghetti with mushroom sauce, and a veggie pizza. Ravioli was meat-filled and good, pasta was cooked perfectly, and pizza was thin and delightfully crispy! We ordered carry-out and waited a reasonable 20-25 mins or so for our order. The friendly gal that took our order offered us a booth and something to drink while we waited...My biggest complaint is that an older gentleman who was sitting in the corner and talking to all the staff (presumably family) reprimanded one of the female staff behind the counter within my earshot. I am very sensitive to this and wish he had quietly pulled her aside. Things happen, especially in family dynamics, but I found this unprofessional and it made me uncomfortable. The employee was visibly upset...I hope the management reads this and that this doesn’t happen again. Now, back to the food...I would give Serra 3 1/2 stars if I could. I found it somewhere between Average and Very Good. The execution was fine! We just confirmed that STL style pizza is not our thing, nor is sweet pasta sauce. The pizza was loaded with think-cut veggies including green olives, which I love and never see anymore! The thin crust is perfect, however. We hate undercooked, doughy, soggy crust and this was crispy brown and delicious. What we don’t prefer is the signature creamy cheese (Provel?). The pasta sauce is also sweet Italian American sauce—again, not our favorite. Portions are generous, prices not out of line, and we like the family-owned-business vibe. I really DO NOT understand reviewers who think places like this should “update” their decor and leave this in a review...I get it if a place needs repairs—Nobody likes a place with damaged furniture or dirty carpets. But we SEARCH out unique, original, classic spots because we don’t happen to think all places should look like cookie-cutter bar restaurants and be decorated as starkly as a Chipotle. This restaurant evidently has a really loyal following. The employees seemed to greet everyone coming in after us as frequent regulars— one of whom was a college student who just HAD to have Serra’s pizza before returning to school. I suspect their customers return because they feel like they’re coming home!

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

All the hype about St.Louis thin crust pizza starts and stops with Serras pizza. Perfect crisp crust, sauce you ask extra of and family recipe Italian sausage with all fresh toppings. Imos is a joke compared to this mom n pop establishment. Only people that love Imos are the same knuckle heads that ask you what high school you went to. I love David a Freese for 2011 but he doesn't know squat about pizza. :) Don't call yourself a full breed St.Louisan if you haven't eaten here so either move away and eat deep dish n Chicago loven the Cubs LMAO or come try the best thin crust in St. Louis and never leave!!!!!!!

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

This a family run restaurant frequented by locals. If you’re looking for fancy ambiance, don’t bother. But if your looking for delicious pizza, definitely eat here! It’s the classic thin crust St. Louis style pizza and they also make some great Italian dishes. Get the house dressing on a salad!

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

We had a Rice Ball for an appitizer and it was Amazing! First one ever! We are the Serra Surpreme Pizza. That has to be the most Amazing Pizza I have ever had, coming from a family of Italians that growing up we always had homemade from scratch! We live 2 1/2 hrs from here so this was our first time, No matter the distance we will be back, with family and friends. The building inside is a little dated but it's family friendly and the waitress was spectacular. She said she makes a mean Margarita. We only drink beer so we took her word for that! I highly recommend!

Reviewed 7 July 2017

Our family has lived down the street from Serra's for 45 years, but I had never eaten there until late June 2017. WOW! Their toasted ravioli was wonderful and their pizza (thin crust) with lots of meat on it was just incredible. We had a large group (a dozen) that they seated quickly and served just fine. EAT AT SERRA'S, my friends. You will love it!