“Good Food with some minor improvements would be Excellent”

Kobe Steak House of Japan
Price range: US$15 - US$45
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located on the 2th floor mall level in Westport Plaza, KOBE at Westport Japanese Grill offers a complete Japanese Teppanyaki dining experience. Your Kobe dinner includes our savory Japanese clear soup, crisp house salad with ginger vinaigrette dressing and a succulent shrimp appetizer and each order is prepared at your Teppanyaki table by your own personal chef with an accompaniment of hibachi vegetables, steamed rice, and hot green tea.
Reviewed 17 March 2017

We went on a Thursday knowing they would not be as busy as the weekend and walked up without a reservation and was able to be seated in about 15-20 minutes with two other parties. The gentleman cooking the food was not as well versed with the grilling or as funny as some others we have had before but you could tell he was a little annoyed with the service. Everyone was about finished with their fried rice which costs extra and the lady finally showed up and I had to ask for my steamed rice. Everything but the salad was amazing. It was watery and didn't have much flavor. The lady next to us eats there several occasions during the year and said that night the food was exceptionally good. I tried a bite of my sons fried rice and I did not like the garlic flavor added and was pleased I got the steamed rice. You have so much food to try to eat you will take some home. You start with a nice broth soup, the salad and they start cooking the vegetables (broccoli, zucchini, onions, and carrots) along with the fried rice. Then they get to an appetizer of shrimp. I ordered chicken and sirloin steak as my main protein. I enjoyed the chicken more than the steak but my husband ordered the filet mignon and it was amazing. By the time you just can't eat any more they cook mushrooms which seemed should have been done with the veggies and lastly noodles. Honestly I would take some off the price and make the portions smaller.

Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

This japanese grill and steakhouse offers to cook food in front of you. Every table is attached with huge grill and cooking gas.
Whatever seafood or meat you order is accompanied with rice, salad, soup and veggies.
But the amazing part is the way they cook live in front of you. They add music while chopping, flip in the air while cooking, add some fire show while charring.

The food is good too. Advance reservations are must as they are full even on weekdays.

Reviewed 11 March 2017

Hubs, friend, and I arrived around 8:30pm. We were aware that it would be busy, and waited a little over an hour to be seated. We sat a the bar for a bit and had a few beers.

After finally being seated a little after 9:30, we were starving. Our waitress was very nice, but quiet. It was hard to hear her, and it was hard for her to hear us because of the fans. This also was an issue when the chef came to the table.

The soup was our first appetizer, and it was probably the best entree of the night, honestly. I even stole my husband's to finish. Salad had hardly any dressing, so wasn't too great, but did not really matter.

NOW to the main course: I ordered the Filet Mignon & Scallops. I wanted ordered medium rare, because from experience at most hibachi restaurants it is more medium. The filet ended up being well done and very dry. All of the hibachi restaurants I dined at had "yum yum" sauce and this place only had ginger and green salsa?? So I was forced to eat dry filet.

The scallops were done perfectly, so I was happy there. The rice was not great. Half burnt and half undercooked. Also, the veggies were very overcooked as well as the mushrooms.

The bill ended up being a little over $100 an although the service was great and the atmosphere is fun, the food was the important part. Kobe Steakhouse really let us down in that aspect.

1  Thank bayernbabe
Jim H, Owner at Kobe Steak House of Japan, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2017

KOBE is appreciative of the review and apologizes for the problems with the meal preparation. KOBE takes pride in our product and obviously the chef involved was not up to par on this evening. We will be reviewing our chef training and addressing our standards in regards to food preparation to insure this does not occur in the future.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

We had a great time here celebrating birthdays. he chef was entertaining and the other people at the table were all amused and amusing! :-) And we walked away full! It was great!

Reviewed 7 January 2017

We went to the Kobe Japanese Grill at West Port Plaza last evening to celebrate our anniversary and it was a wonderful, fun-filled and memorable experience. The food was absolutely delicious, our chef and waitress were completely amazing, entertaining and professional and the new friends we made at our table were an added blessing. We will go back!