“Pretty Tasty!”

Reeds American Table
Ranked #4 of 40 Restaurants in Maplewood
Reviewed 28 October 2018

Dinner with family. We aren’t from STL so this was picked for us. A very nice, small restaurant with small dishes that were very tasty. Cornbread baked in bacon fat, brussel sprouts, all very good. Good tasty drinks too.

Reviewed 6 October 2018

I am very vulnerable to salesmanship. When a car salesman wants to be my best friend for life, I believe him. I listen to people who pitch products and services at my front door. So I was primed for the waitress who sold me a $15 glass of wine, a pork schnitzel that tasted like a hockey puck, and a fascinating and magnificent story about how the chef discovered the wine in an abandoned winery in France - it was hogwash.

On the first floor the tables for diners are lined up against one wall, and right behind the diners' chairs on the aisle is the bar. It was really loud, especially after a couple became drunk and started hollering at the bartender. When I turned around to see what was going on, I noticed that other people on down our row were also turned in their chairs and looking. We were all shocked and offended. When you're paying $150 for two hockey pucks, two burgers, and a fabricated wine story you deserve some consideration.

If you go, trust your own experiences about what food realistically can be and don't believe the sales pitches. Listen to them, by all means, and then laugh while repeating them to your friends. And ask for a table upstairs.

Reviewed 17 August 2018

I really want to like Reeds. We've come here several times and we always enjoy the enthusiastic and attentive service. We've also had some delicious food, including the braised beef cheeks small plate, which was tender, flavorful and delicious! Unfortunately, for every home run we have here, we also seem to get a foul ball. This time, the offender was the coconut shrimp. I've had better versions from the grocery store freezer section :-/ They came out and unappetizing chocolate brown color. The breading was tough and near burned, and, as you can imagine, the shrimp were dry and flavorless. We were going to ask for them to be remade, but we noticed that every order was coming out of the kitchen the same way, so we didn't bother.

Reviewed 11 July 2018

We had a group of 4 for a Sunday evening (5 p.m.) and it was not crowded but we had a reservation. There is not much off menu but the selections are varied and sufficient. The brussel sprouts are a must as is the Samoa cake. The mushroom lasagna, trout, and steak all got high praise. Service was excellent. Drink selection and quality outstanding. Needs to be on everyone's culinary bucketlist.

Reviewed 6 June 2018

This place is close to where we live, and we always enjoy coming here. Menu changes frequently. The appetizer brussel sprouts are absolutely delicious, and if in season are usually on the menu. This time I had the strip steak which was very very good. First floor can get pretty noisy, but not so much upstairs. Would recommend for delicious creative menu.