New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza

Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza
Ranked #78 of 113 Hotels in Kansas City
Roeland Park, Kansas
“Bad smell, hair all over bed, broken door lock, toilet & A/C!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

On the way to the room I first noticed the bad smell that was all over the hotel. Once in the room I realized that someone had tried to break in at one point because the lock was on the verge of falling off. You would think something that important would be fixed. The most disturbing for me was that our bed was covered in hair! I've backpacked through India hostels for $7 a day and slept in cleaner beds/hotels.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Fresno, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

There was an odor in the halls as soon as we walked in. Old and musty. We booked the hotel through Priceline.com, and luckily we were not expecting it to be an extended stay place, because I would not recommended to stay very long. We arrived at about 5am, and since we'd already been up all night and had pre-paid for the room, we were kinda stuck. The smell in the room was a little less bad, and we got used to it pretty quick. We'd been up 24 hours and all I wanted was a shower and sleep. When I went to the bathroom there were plenty of towels, but no shampoo. You have to specifically ask for shampoo at the front desk, and you have to go and pick it up yourself. This is easier said than done, because there are no signs in the halls to point which dirrection the front desk was. I realized I was walking in circles because I kept walking by the same room where an alarm clock was going off. Also, the kitchenette was stocked with exactly 2 forks, 2 spoons, and no dish soap. You also have to ask for dish soap at the front desk. The room itself was set up well for one or two people staying one or two days. This was my 3rd trip to KC, and if what you really want is extended stay, I'd recommend Chase Suites in Overland Park instead of this place. For non-extended stay, I'd still recommend staying somewhere else. Some of the pluses for Homestead: There was an armchair and footstool next to the bed, which was nice. There were plenty of TV chanels. You have to pay $4.99 to use the Internet, which is slow. The air conditioner worked and was relatively quiet. Hot water was plentiful/ water pressure was only OK.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charlene93727
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

Infestation of ants in the bathroom, smell of cigarettes in the hallway, paper thin towels, rude front desk that miss charged my card. I would have to say, worst hotel I've been at in a while.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mid MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

Hotel was nice and easy to find and overlooking the Plaza, in a great location for other sites in the area, the room was clean and well situated and outfitted. All this at a great price as compared with other hotels in the area. I was very happy with my stay. However, if you want the Ritz you should not stay here and stay at the Ritz and pay for the name.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Country Club Plaza
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2009

"Nightmare on Main Street"
We've traveled to and stayed at dozens of properties over the past four decades, but nothing compared us for the ordeal we encountered 34 hours ago. We stayed at this same property last spring, but the difference between then and now was night and day. You're more likely to benefit from a short review, so here's the condensed version:
Retired for the night (or so we thought)
By 11:30 p.m., shouted profanities and obscenity-laced screaming down the hallway
Called front desk; clerk agreed to respond
From midnight - 3:30 a.m., more slamming doors and shouting (in rooms and hallway)
Called front desk; repeatedly forwarded to answering service
Walked to front desk; accosted by group of several drunks
Returned to room and called KC Police Department
By 4:00 a.m. several police and security staff arrived at 2nd floor of hotel to restore order
Hotel attempted to charge me; barely apologized, did not thank me for restoring order
Hotel sent me a survey this a.m. asking if I'd be back
What do you think I said?

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple