“Very Good”

Sweet Smoke BBQ
Ranked #23 of 191 Restaurants in Jefferson City
Price range: US$7 - US$24
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Went with my better half and was pleasently surprised. The staff was super helpful and friendly. The brisket, pulled pork and ribs were very, very good. We will be back.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Great BBQ! We shared the “Boss Hog” a sampler of BBQ and Smoked meets. I really liked the cheesy grits. They have a good variety of beer on tap.

Reviewed 11 October 2018

Our new favorite! BBQ rates up there with any BBQ in Kansas City. My favorite is the burnt ends and the jalapeño grits. Pit beans are a must!

Reviewed 21 September 2018

Only been once but so far the best BBQ in Jeff City. You order at the counter then you have table service. They have some nice craft beers on tap. I had the brisket and smoked sausage. The brisket was proper Texas style with a nice smoke ring, good bark, proper tenderness and sliced correctly. The sausage had good flavor and was a fine grind, I prefer more of a coarse grind but that's just personal preference. I would order again in a heartbeat. The fries looked like McDees but tasted a little better. The beans had almost as much smoked meat as it did beans, it could almost be a meal in itself. Portions were very good for the price. I'll try the ribs next time.

Reviewed 17 September 2018

If you are looking for a funky barbecue restaurant with a cool downtown hipster vibe in Jefferson City, this is the spot! If you are looking for delicious meals with a retro home-cooked taste, this is also the spot! The venue is definitely unique with a vibe that is a cross between hipster, a historical museum with pictures of Jefferson City history and my aunt's house in the 80's. The ordering situation was a little confusing, you walk in to the bar side, there is a giant menu on the wall by the soda fountain with no clear direction. We were able to flag down an employee who told us you order at the bar, then have a seat at a table and they bring your food out. We did find that the staff was very knowledgeable about which options were gluten free, and there were many choices (no nachos due to a thickener in the sauce that contains gluten, no buns, I think there was one barbecue sauce and I don't believe they have a dedicated fryer so we avoided fried foods).

Most of us really enjoyed our food. One of my kids ordered salmon and didn't enjoy it, so I tasted it and regretted doing so. I wouldn't recommend the salmon, but the rest of our food was delicious, especially the barbecue staples of pulled pork and brisket. I got a Carolina Style Pulled Pork Sandwich with a mustard based sauce that was good and a nice change of pace from what I normally get at a barbecue restaurant. I did wish it had dill pickles instead of bread and butter pickles.

All in all, I would recommend this restaurant, even for a family, there is a separate dining area in a different room from the bar. I do wish they had a kid's menu, but they are cool about splitting meals and bring extra plates upon request. This will definitely get you out of a "chain restaurant rut" if you are looking for some local flare.