“Gave it a 2nd try - will not go back”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bistro at the Square
Ranked #18 of 31 Restaurants in De Soto
Reviewed 15 June 2018

1st time - tried a Sunday buffet which includes drinks and desserts - several plates were stacked to use for the buffet but had to sort thru to find a clean plate. I and several other customers set the dirty plates to the side. I brought the dirty plates to the staff's attention but it was quite a while b/4 the dirty ones were removed from the serving table. Also noticed when kitchen staff carried out more plates, they held them up against their clothing. Not very sanitary. Food was heavily salted. Our server was ok but could have been more attentive.

Gave the place a 2nd chance tonight for Friday night seafood "buffet" including drinks and desserts. It is advertised as 11am to 8pm on Fridays. Catfish was spicy with a heavy batter. It would be so much better with a much lighter and less spicy & salty batter. Chicken batter was a little better, but again heavy on the salt. Shrimp wasn't too bad, but they were extremely slow about refilling the shrimp. They brought out what turned out to be the last batch of shrimp around 7:20. We asked at 7:30 if they were going to bring out more shrimp but the server said no, probably not because it was so close to closing time. And the server was correct, they didn't bring out any more shrimp. So if you arrive at say 7:15 for the seafood buffet, better be ready to eat extremely fast in 5 minutes or less before they stop cooking what is supposed to be part of the main course. The rolls and/or desserts on the buffet table were also not refilled .

All in all there were many reasons we were not satisfied with either visit. So disappointing as DeSoto could really use a decent restaurant as a change from all the fast-food places. They lost us as customers for sure tonight, and we will not recommend that anyone else try out the Bistro. Big disappointment!

Reviewed 17 January 2017

Poor service, food not good. Been there more than once, hoping it was a fluke, but not the case. I won't go back.

Reviewed 16 June 2016

We've given this a couple of tries and the food was average at best. This last time, we literally waited over two hours to be served what we ordered. We kept thinking, any time it HAS to come. When we complained, we were told that they weren't expecting or prepared for a party someone had scheduled here! What? Wow. We watched as other customers got up and just left. We'd already received our salads so we felt bad for leaving. When the food came, it was cold. My daughter ordered pasta and the sauce was so watery. My husbands fish was terrible and he didn't feel so well after.

Reviewed 21 April 2015

We met with some friends for dinner thinking we would get a good meal and good company. The company was great and the meal was tasteless. The server didn't seem to know what he was doing. He took our order going around the table one at a time, not to confusing one would think. About 5 minutes later he came back for the table to ask my husband if he was going to eat or not since he didn't order. Everyone at the table knew what he had ordered and when he told the server his comment was "oh yeah, that's right I'll get it ordered for you." we had to ask for bread and salads which arrived just a minute or so before our food. When the food came out one of our party got the wrong food and had to wait for them to fix the correct meal. The steaks were tough, the pasta had no taste and we never could identify what the pork was supposed to be but it wasn't the pork steak special. I won't be returning to this resturant.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

I really did! I went back four times. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and before closing. The service is appalling, it is so bad. I have been sat at tables where the paper place mats are dirty and the cloth table clothes beneath them were dirtier. They do not know anything about their wine selection and when we bought a bottle for dinner they sat it in front of me unopened. No ice bucket, and we had to ask for glasses, then ask could we EACH have our own glass! The food was not bad, if you could choose a selection they were not out of! The waitress did not come back in a timely manner to fill drinks or ask if we needed anything. We waited a long time for our check. It was really as if there had never been any service training, no knowledge of the menu or wine menu, no urgency, which is a crying shame because the place is cute and clean and I really wanted a local hang out I could love.