“Wonderful anniversary dinner!”

J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 45 Restaurants in Des Peres
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Manchester and 270
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips. The cozy atmosphere includes rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open daily for dinner & lunch. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed 7 April 2018

I've probably walked by J. Gilbert's 100 times over the years and enjoyed the amazing aroma from the grill. With our anniversary approaching, my wife and I decided it was time to experience it firsthand, and it did not disappoint! Huge menu with lots of choices, and everything was delicious: blue cheese potato chips, dry-aged strip, 8 oz. filet, salt baked potato, creamed corn, green beans, and the coconut cake for dessert. Large drink selection. Great service from our server Libby too--she had lots of helpful recommendations. Very nice atmosphere. We will definitely be back!

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 4 March 2018

We eat here often...the usual salmon or filet with roasted vegetables are good. The house salad is good. But try the tortilla soup...an unexpected surprise! It is truly amazing! My husband had the chicken this time and loved it! I had the most decadent entree on the menu...the scallops with lobster risotto in champagne burre blanc. OMG it was incredible! Worth every penny!!!

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

I hosted a group of 9 business colleagues for dinner. We made reservation for 6:30 pm, midweek. We were shown to our table promptly upon arrival and service was swift and friendly. The menu was significant with a broad range of steaks and seafood. In addition, they had a variety of specials and sides. I heard a number of very positive remarks from my colleagues as they made their selections. I was pleased as I had chosen this place based on reviews! The food was out quickly and it was wonderful in all ways. I had a filet, creamed corn and augratin potatoes. Wow! Just wonderful. Everyone enjoyed themselves and the dinner. By the way, lots of fairly casual dress here too. Saw jeans, sweaters, and business casual. The waiter indicated the restaurant was expanding....hoping for expansion to my city!

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank Jimtravels4fun
Reviewed 29 January 2018

I rarely give 5 stars. This place deserves that many. Went here for my birthday and was the best birthday dinner choice have made in at least a dozen years. The quality of the steaks is superb--they advertise prime and they taste prime. Both the 12 oz. KC strip and 4 oz. filet were both simply superb, exactly what they should be and the best I have had so far anywhere in St. Louis. The poblano potatoes au gratin were also fabulous as were the side of mushrooms I got. Best potato dish and best mushrooms I have had in a long time. Really, really good and way better than at some other steakhouses in the metro area. Wife's seafood in addition to her small filet was also topnotch. What is really amazing though is that you get all this at a pretty reasonable price and the entree prices include 2 sides. The atmosphere feels expensive and looks expensive which drives the value equation even higher, because you are getting top notch food in a premium environment and the price is still reasonable. Service was also extremely professional and simply excellent all the way around. Even the drink prices were lower than at many competing steakhouses where nothing is as good as it is here. This was simply an excellent experience and we look forward to repeating it again soon. Really superb place all the way around on virtually every level. Only negative is that we couldn't find a parking valet and it was really cold outside--Citizen Kane's definitely has the advantage on parking because they have multiple valets for free and there is always one around. We were not willing to wait for someone to eventually show up at an unknown point in the future and thus parked ourselves. That is the only area for improvement I could see, and on days with inclement weather, is something that should be improved.

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank JohnE399
Reviewed 24 December 2017

Great birthday dinner! Sam, our waiter, was awesomely attentive. The food was delicious (husband had the 6 oz. filet, me the cedar planked salmon) and prepared just as we asked. Sam was so kind to bag up our leftovers, including my complimentary birthday dessert. Although J. Gilbert's is a bit pricey for weekly dining out, we enjoy coming here several times a year for special occasions. It's always a great way to celebrate the year end holidays.

Date of visit: December 2017