“Fun place, pizza not great”

Cave Gang Pizza & Pub
Ranked #11 of 61 Restaurants in Carthage
Description: Woodfire Pizza, Wings, Salad. Large selection of draft beer and a full bar. Housed inside a repurposed historic filling station that sits atop the cave.
Reviewed 30 November 2017

Loved the exterior, the interior and the stories associated with the name -- but the pizza wasn't good at all. The cheese garlic bread was great, though!

Ethan G, Manager at Cave Gang Pizza & Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2017

We are sorry to hear that you did not find the pizza to your liking, was there anything in particular that you did not like?

Reviewed 21 October 2017

These are the reviews I hate to write. 5 stars for food. 1 star for the cluster that took place around us.

We had a long day exploring Route 66 and were looking for a relaxing meal. Unfortunately it took 2 hours to get food even after most of the patrons had left (many leaving drinks on their tables).
We sat down at an empty table and were told there were some issues in the kitchen and dinner would be slow (about 1.5 hrs). After we had placed our order we watched the two couples get up from the table behind us (leaving drinks), get replaced by a mom and 3 girls (who left after about 10 minutes and no service at all (the mom went to talk to wait staff and took the girls out of there when she came back) get replaced by a couple who placed an order for pizza 30 minutes after we did and were almost done with their pizza before I tracked down our waitress to ask"what the hell". It was at least t 2 hours before we ate, the people who ordered 30 minutes after we did had their pizza way before us and the drive through kept moving. I'm assuming the people who sat inside were the ones getting screwed.

The only saving grace was we were too tired to go anywhere else so we stayed for what turned out to be excellent pizza. A great crust toppings.

So the pizza was definitely worth 5 stars but whatever the manager/wait staff were doing was horrible. Hopefully they figure things out.

Ethan G, Manager at Cave Gang Pizza & Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

Our apologies for your experience that day and I would like to reassure you that is not our normal daily operation. There were some issues that day related to a promotion that performed extremely better than expected which back logged the kitchen area. Some incorrect decisions were made that made the situation worse. However, those issues have been addressed. Thank you for your feedback and we are excited that you enjoyed the food.

Reviewed 6 October 2017

What happened? We have always enjoyed our pizzas here. This time no. It was delivered not done in the middle. Only crisp around the outside. They did make us a new one, but it was more cooked, but still not crisp like it used to be. Practically no sauce on it, and very little elsewise. We enjoy the drought beer selections.
Maybe another try sometime?

Thank you for you feedback, unfortunately, I can't explain when the pizza wasn't delivered to you correctly that day, however, I can reassure you that is not our normal expectation for our pizzas as you have experienced before. We look forward to your return so that you can experience the great pizza you had before once again.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

Tiny place and wasn't that busy, yet I felt rushed to order. There didn't seem to be a lot of food choices on the menu, but 3 pages of beer and wine.
I ordered a small pizza with pepperoni and sausage and while I waited entertainment was provided by 2 little girls playing Hide and Go Seek in the restrooms and attempting to play "Tag You're It" with me. Sorry, I'm here to eat, not play games.
The pizza was "OK", but not spectacular. It looked rather thrown together as the toppings weren't evenly distributed. Some slices had more toppings that others. The sausage didn't seem very flavorful at all...more like hamburger that had been thrown on the pizza.
I guess since it's such a tiny place, they don't put sugar and sweetener packets on the table. I asked once for sweetener, but I guess my server didn't hear me.
I also considered it rude that while she was chit-chatting with the table across from me, she basically had her butt in my face. She was there for a couple minutes, so they must have been regulars she was schmoozing with.
When it was time to leave, there was a table of 10 near me that was there when I came in and was still there.

I almost didn't get to leave, though, since those two little girls were standing in front of the door and giggling. My server finally told the girls to quit blocking the door.

I was left feeling like this was a small neighborhood bar with babysitting service, rather than an actual restaurant.

1  Thank YFNETM
Reviewed 18 September 2017

We had the pizza and flatbread as well as a martini with Rum Chata and cinnamon that still has me drooling. Not sure why we waited so long to try this out, but we're going back again soon. Would be my favorite restaurant in Carthage by far!

Been to Cave Gang Pizza & Pub? Share your experiences!