“Lovely birthday dinner”
Review of Mesa Barrio

Mesa Barrio
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Lawson
Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

Four of us went for an early dinner at Mesa and it was gorgeous. We loved the Tapas style servings and the flavours and presentation were superb. We had lovely croquettes made with pumpkin, cumin and peas- lovely and crisp on the outside. We also had beautifully presented scallops on the half shell. The asparagus with goats curd was also beautiful and the kipfler potatoes dish was wonderful. We also had the special of Kingfish collar which was just enough for four and tasted magic. We shared the swordfish fillets with fennel purée and it was beautiful.
The service was good but not exceptional, however the food and decor was stunning. We will definitely return - fully recommended.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

I had been wanting to try out Mesa Barrio since they opened, as many people had said how great it was and it always seemed full when I went past. I finally got to book there for a romantic night out on the weekend. Booking was easy and I managed to get a table (you have the option of table or shared bar/long table seating).

The service from the staff got off to a shaky start as they didn't really know where to seat us even though we had a booking. We ended up at a large share table, but it wasn't so bad and the other diners at the table left pretty early. The wait staff were really friendly and genuine, but at times were a little unsure about what they were doing.

I had been told that it was pretty noisy in the restaurant, but I found it perfect. The music wasn't too loud, but was a little inconsistant and didn't really suit the feel of the restaurant (surf music, blues, ambient new age, Spanish, pop, R&B all mixed in together). Although a bit odd, it didn't distract us from enjoying the restaurant.

The food was great! Modern tapas, covering a range of flavours and styles. There was a full bar and a guy making cocktails, but they were unable to make some standard cocktails due to a lack of some ingredients. Fortunately there were some other good cocktail options available.

Price was on the high side of mid range, but affordable for the overall standard of Mesa Barrio.

A great night out and I'll be back for sure!

1  Thank Sean W
Reviewed 12 October 2017

I love a picnic and these guys deliver, terrific food for sharing with great wines by the glass to match, not cheap but superb. Have eaten there twice and look forward to the next time.

1  Thank Louise H
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

This was a surprise, local friends have recommended it as a place to eat and it was great. Nice selection of meals and drinks. Not disappointed at all.
Keep up the good work and the staff were fantastic always attentive to our needs on the night
Thank you and when back in the mountains definitely another visit.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Visited for lunch with my daughter. The food was delicious but we thought $88 for share plates was a little much! No drinks in that price. Plus they sold me a pretty expensive takeaway cider that was flat. While we loved the food and service it felt a bit like a rip off - its a bit rich for a Lawson cafe.