“Indian Food at Last!”

Maharaja
Ranked #49 of 193 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 20 December 2017

A bunch of us went out for a Thursday night dinner to Maharaja Indian Kitchen. I was most looking forward to it as my family doesn't like Indian food BUT I DO! We started with an appetizer of Chicken 65, which is a South Indian dish. Really great appetizer with a touch of spiciness! Then, 4 of us shared a selection of different dishes including Lamb Vindaloo and Chicken Tikka Masala. They were all spicy enough at the "medium" level to satisfy the 4 of us. The meal was accompanied by basmati rice and plenty of Naan to soak up the sauces. The service was pretty good. For a Thursday there was nobody there but our large party. Don't know if there are other Indian restaurants in the area but when you have GOT to have your Indian food fix, this is a really good place to go!

Reviewed 13 July 2017

My son is half Indian and our family is very passionate about Indian food, so we were thrilled to learn Oxford now has an Indian restaurant. The food did not disappoint! As soon as we were seated, our waitress brought a basket overflowing with fried bread and chutney, which was tasty. I ordered the Chicken Korma and it was the best I've ever had, hands down. My son sampled it as well and agreed. My daughter ordered the Chicken Curry and loved it. I cannot remember what my son ordered, except that it included lamb and he said it was delicious. One note: They are a little heavy on the hot spices, so if you have a low tolerance, order it mild and you should be comforable. I ordered my Khorma "medium" and it tasted more "hot" to me. Obviously I still loved it, but would go "mild" next time.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

Started our dinner with Gobi Manchuria, cauliflower fried in tempura batter and further cooked in manchurian sauces. Then we shared a single portion of Methi Chicken which was cooked in a sauce made with fenugreek leaves. We accompanied our meal with very good Naan.

Service has been very good at Maharaja since they have hired some staff. The place in understated but attractive.

Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

Found this close to our hotel. Had samosas and saag chicken with roti. Cooked fresh to order. Worth the wait!! Absolutely delicious. Just the right amount of spice. The owner is very friendly and when we asked if we could get a cab to pick us up, he offered To take us! What a lovely person. I would hope to go back sometime when we are in Oxford again!

Reviewed 25 February 2017

Went out for our Friday night dinner to Maharaja Indian Kitchen. We started with Samosa, which are Indian pastries stuffed with potatoes and peas and deep fried. Great appetizer. Then we shared Vegetable Jalfreizi made with bell peppers, tomatoes, and carrots in a spicy sauce. It was spicy enough at the "mild" level. We , also, shared Chicken Vindaloo, made with chicken, curry sauce and potatoes at the medium level. The meal was accompanied by rice and Naan. We ordered Indian Tea Massala, which was aromatic and sweet and had milk in it. Service was great There were just a few couples dining, with some people coming in to pick up take out orders.