See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

This so-called castle is a 2003 remake of a mythic antebellum Plantation House, and frequently hosts weddings. The owners are very (I mean VERY) hands-off, and you should expect no employees to be present during the night. Although the building is pretty, cleanliness is not a priority. We had a decent stay, as we are fairly easy to please, but our one serious beef was that they don't mention there's no ADA compliant access to rooms. There is only a shallow spiral staircase to the upper rooms, so my elderly mother struggled mightily to climb them with her cane. Also the guest information is non-existent. Don't expect the welcome packet in your room to offer you anything about basics such as Wi-fi password, breakfast or check out procedures. The first word in it is "GOLF," and then it's just a garbled guide to Oxford after that. Good for very low-maintenance travelers.

Note: If not for a friend's wedding taking place on site, we probably wouldn't choose to associate with a place that continues to glorify Mississippi's pre-Civil War history, but that's a story for another day.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Jean A, Manager at Castle Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Thank you for the review. I am so sorry your stay was not as you expected.
We have made efforts to ensure that potential guests are aware that the majority of our rooms in our bed and breakfast are located upstairs and there is no elevator.
We have also updated our rooms with welcome packets provided by the Oxford Tourism office. There is, however, information in each room regarding breakfast, WiFi networks and password, and check out and I'm sorry that you did not see this.
As for no employees being on site during the night, no we don't have a 24/7 staffed desk as we are a small 7 room bed and breakfast. There is, however, information in each room with an emergency contact number for our guests to use to contact us anytime they wish.
As for the condescending words regarding the architectural style of our home, that was not necessary, but as you stated, "that's a story for another day."

Reviewed 25 September 2017

It looks nice.... But what it delivers is far from it.

First, like others we were promised the honeymoon suite, but when we got there the room's ac was not turned on so we were directed to another room.

In this room, the bed was not made properly. The top sheet was on top of the blanket. My wife had to remake the bed.

The breakfast was cancelled due to a wedding the next day. Note to self, when the wedding party does not stay at the venue that should speak volumes... While we were told about the no breakfast (and we were given 15% off the bill), we were not told about the swimming pool. Thank god we did not take a late night swim as the pool had green sludge as did the jacuzzi.

The tv in our room was inoperable. The room had not been cleaned thoroughly since the last guests left. The owners offered that we should have called them when we discovered this, but at 11 pm at night, really? And bless her heart, but when responding about us observing that the pool was a mess, "it's not pool season anymore" does not resonate well when it's 100 degrees out...

Stay away from this place. It stinks.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review. I am so sorry you stay was not as you expected. We try very hard to accommodate our guests as best we can, but sometimes things do happen that is out of our control. It is not that the A/C was not turned on, as it was turned on for you hours in advance of your arrival. When I took you to the room it was obvious it was not working so I was relieved to have had another room to direct you to. We notified our repair man immediately, he came and found that the A/C was not working and had to order a part for it and it was repaired a couple of days later. As for the bed not being properly made, I have addressed my housekeeping staff on the issue. We are very fortunate to have a great housekeeping staff and I'm sorry, but I do take issue with your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room.
As for the swimming pool, it is plainly stated on Expedia that the pool is seasonal and we close the pool after labor day regardless of the outside temperature.
As for the TV, we have ATT U-verse service and sometimes there are a couple of steps you have to do with the remote. There is an emergency contact number in each of our rooms for our guests to contact us, even at 11pm.

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

The only reason I'm giving The Colonel's Quarters at Castle Hill a 5 is because they won't let me give it a 10. We had an amazing time. Where to begin:

The Room:
The Rebel Room (was the Honeymoon suite we stayed in) was absolutely gorgeous and spacious with a comfortable canopy bed. There was a roomy jacuzzi tub and satellite TV. They had a fridge with complimentary beverages and plenty of coffee available. Good AC and water pressure (although the water eventually ran clear, when filling the jacuzzi it has a slight brown or pink color to it which is normal and absolutely safe according to the owner). There were also plenty of electrical outlets and towels. It's was an altogether cozy room with all the features you would require

The Grounds:
Set on a picturesque hilltop, surrounded by lush green landscape, a flurry of hummingbirds, and a large pond, The Colonel's Quarters at Castle Hill is a perfect getaway for two, or beautiful wedding venue. The grass and landscaping is manicured to perfection and the main house truly gives you the feel of a southern mansion. They have a new ballroom and dining area that was done with the utmost taste and sophistication.

The Staff:
Jean was a fantastic host and answered all of my questions quickly and honestly. She attended to all our needs and then some. She personally cooked us an amazing southern breakfast and did it at the time of our choosing. They also offered us a military discount.

Bottom Line:
The place is gorgeous, romantic, and we priced right. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

We wanted a place not far from home (1 hour) for a quick couple of days to get away. Our friends had stayed here before and recommended it to us. There are not many reviews so I really didn't know what to expect. (Especially about a wedding experience but hey, we weren't having a wedding.) We stayed in the main house rooms that are located upstairs atop of the grand stairway in the main entrance. The rooms were great! The beds boasted memory foam mattresses and pillows that were a dream. The rooms and facility were immaculate. Our host Jean, ensured that we had everything we needed and stayed out of our way so that we could enjoy our downtime by the pool, swinging on the porch and being lazy in our rooms and around the grounds. At first I was skeptical about this not being centrally located near town, but really enjoyed not having the distractions. A short drive into town was no problem for us so that we could enjoy nice dining in the evenings. I can't wait to visit again!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank McFromOB
Reviewed 30 June 2016

We wanted a place not far from home (1 hour) for a quick couple of days to get away. Our friends had stayed here before and recommended it to us. There are not many reviews so I really didn't know what to expect. We stayed in the main house rooms that are located upstairs atop of the grand stairway in the main entrance. The rooms were great! The beds boasted memory foam mattresses and pillows that were a dream. The rooms and facility were immaculate. Our host Jean, ensured that we had everything we needed and stayed out of our way so that we could enjoy our downtime by the pool, swinging on the porch and being lazy in our rooms and around the grounds. At first I was skeptical about this not being centrally located near town, but really enjoyed not having the distractions. A short drive into town was no problem for us so that we could enjoy nice dining in the evenings. I can't wait to visit again!