“Better than average but still not great”
Review of Mellow Mushroom

Mellow Mushroom
Ranked #24 of 161 Restaurants in Ocean Springs
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Pizza, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Serving craft pizza and beer with a side of unique vibes since 1974.
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Thank Zeus for thin crust pizza now available here. It used to be torture trying to chew the regular or thick crust pie. While fixings were decent could never get past one or two chews., The thin crust pie overcomes that obstacle but the sauce and cheese still lack something like flavor that would make them comparable to the best of NY or even NJ offerings. To make amends come prior to 6PM when the tap beer is half price including a decent Guinness! Service is just right.

MellowOS, Owner at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2018

Hello David and thank you for the review. I'm glad the thin crust option works for you. Mellow's traditional crust and sauce have been around since 1974 and a lot of people say they can't be beat. Personally, I choose the thinner crust just so I can eat more of the good stuff we put on top!
That's where you'll find the freshest, high quality toppings and cheeses, so you don't want to fill up too soon. And you are correct, from 2-6 every day you can enjoy our 19 draft beer selections for half price. So please come back and see us soon! We appreciate your business.

Reviewed 28 December 2017

Stopped in for dinner on our way to hotel. Greeted at the door by a friendly waitress, and got a table right away. The service throughout the meal was friendly and efficient. We had an appetizer, three small pizzas and a kids' meal. All of the food was very good. The garlic knots (?) appetizer was very good, and went great with a cold beer. The beer selection is good here too. The pizzas were hot and fresh, with very fresh toppings. The dinner total was reasonably priced for the quality and service received.

MellowOS, Owner at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2017

Thanks guys! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. We really do appreciate your business and the time you took to review our restaurant. If your travels bring you back this way again, I hope you'll have the opportunity to stop back in. Have a Happy and Mellow New Year!

Reviewed 12 October 2017

We were driving to Ocean Springs to see the antique cars and it was noon and we decided to grab lunch before we started our site seeing. This place had plenty of parking and seemed like a good place to grab lunch. We ordered cheese sticks and they were out quickly, very hot and delicious. We ordered three pizzas and two were brought out correct and the meat feast pizza didn't have any meat so the waitress took that one back. Before we got our meat feast pizza back the other couple had finished their pizza. The pizzas were good but not anything special although a grade above Dominos. I might return but it's not likely.
The waitress was great and kept our drinks refilled and was super friendly. It wasn't her fault the pizza was prepared wrong.
The place was very clean and organized.
The place has plenty of parking but there are signs everywhere that say you can only park there while eating. You can't stay parked and walk to the shops in the area.

MellowOS, Owner at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Thank you for taking time to review our Mellow Mushroom. Cruisin' the Coast is the biggest week long event of the year for our restaurant. Over 8000 classic and antique cars and thousands of interested onlookers travel to Ocean Springs during that time.
The City blocks off all the streets downtown and attendees are forced to find parking wherever they can. With our close proximity to the venue, our parking lot is overwhelmed with cars. While most visitors recognize that our restaurant can't operate without any parking (we only have 36 spaces), you would be amazed at the number of people who try to park in our lot for the entire day. That is why we post signs during that event that say "restaurant parking only."
I am glad you were pleased with our cleanliness, service, and food. I am sorry to hear that we rang in one of your pizzas wrong and had to remake it. That is something our Manager on Duty should have known and taken care of while you were here. If you will contact me at the restaurant I will certainly issue a refund for that mix-up.
Thank you again for the review and for your patronage. I hope we will have a chance to serve you again.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

I came back in the spring for the first time. The service and food was terrible. I did a review and the manager contacted me. I told him I didn't want anything, just wanted him to be informed. He insisted on sending a gift card out for me to try them again. After about 3 months I decided to take some people to try. This visit wasn't as bad as first but still poor. The service was better but waiter served one person food before others were ready, so she was done eating before the rest of us got our food. I said something to him and he acted like oh well. The food all was terrbile again. Since, I have been there I have been told by local that I would of told you not to eat there. Needless to say I won't be back and not recommend this to anyone.

MellowOS, Owner at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

I remember this from back in February. You said in your review then that you yelled at the server and that the food was terrible. I spoke with all the employees and managers who were on duty that day and was unable to learn anything else about this matter. But I believe I did immediately send you a gift card for the full amount of your check. Thank you for giving us another try.
I am not sure when you came in the second time. I have not had a male server employed since July. But I am truly disappointed that something is obviously going wrong when you come to visit and that we fail to address it while you are here. And, I am sorry. If you will contact me at the restaurant with your address I will send you a check for a full refund. Again please accept my apology.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

Amazing!!! My favorite place, best calzones ever! A+
Everyone has to try it. Don't miss it you will regret it. I love this place, the food and the service.

MellowOS, Owner at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Blanca, Wow! It looks like we've really nailed it with you. I promise we will keep trying to exceed your expectations with every visit. Thank you so much for the five star review and for your continued business!