“Never judge a book by it's cover!”
Review of Cambios - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Had been in Biloxi it is a 5 star restaurnat
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Made a trip to Gulfport this past weekend to attend my wife's high school reunion. Many years ago, as a young Air Force sergeant, we'd lived in Ocean Springs and always loved the cozy, small-town atmosphere. We've been back many times over the years, but seldom had time for more than a quick drive through town. This time we decided to stop for lunch and, as luck would have it, picked the little orange-colored cottage with the name "Cambios" displayed. I will ever be glad that we did so. As another reviewer has noted, stepping through the door was like being taken to an intimate little eatery in Paris. The walls are lined with pictures of famous authors and other notables favored by the owner/chef. Some may decry the lack of more space but I think if there were more tables the quality of the food and service may suffer. As it is, the dozen or so tables allows the chef (and, believe me, he knows his way around a kitchen) to devote more attention to the superb fare he prepares for your waiting palate.
Everything about our experience was top-drawer. The friendly greeting and helpfulness of the hostess, the efficiency and knowledge of our waitress, the presentation of our meal and the food - - ah, the food! Lunch is a 3-course meal. One chooses a single item from the menu of salad/appetizer, main dish and dessert. Portions are reasonably sized and served on beautiful plates. We both opted for the Spanish Omelet for our main course. The most delicious omelet I've ever had and topped with bite-size chunks of filet mignon. And all this for far less than one would pay for similar quality in an "upscale" restaurant.
By way of wrap-up I'd like to say that in my 78 years, this is the first time I've been inclined to write a review of a restaurant. Need I say we'll be back? And, as I told the hostess, it would be my pleasure to give them an on-screen testimonial should they ever produce a commercial.
R. Altman

Reviewed 5 October 2012

The menu had changed from the one we saw at the place we were staying. Both my husband and I were disappointed in the food. The new waitress tried her best but basically the place didn't live up to the hype.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

My wife and I made a couple of trips to visit her family in Louisiana toward the end of summer.
On the way west the first time we stopped at Ocean Springs looking for a reasonably priced dinner. We chose Cambios on a lark and have been back twice. This quaint and homey restaurant has just about the highest quality food and service we have ever had for its price.
For an appetizer, try the zombie shrimp. You'll want to steal your date's if you've finished yours first. The shrimp bruschetta is also excellent for a pre-dinner nibble. As for main courses, I have had the polenta lasagna twice and the chef's seafood special once and, while fully satisfied, darn near cried when we left because we could not take more with us. Creme broulee desert alone will make you come back. All this without draining your wallet.
Head chef and owner James Wright, an attorney by trade but a chef extraordinaire at heart, does much of the cooking himself and supervises a tremendous support staff. His wife Lourdes is a most gracious hostess who is never beneath assisting the fine wait staff when the place is busy -- and it has been full the three times we have been there. In fact, I watched as
Mrs. Wright turned away several sad-faced customers after closing time in a most pleasant demeanor that I heard one of the woman say that she and her husband would return the next night only much earlier.
Location is good for those travelling on Interstate 10. Yes, you have to drive south on Route 50 for five minutes or so, depending on the traffic, but the relaxing small-town feel of Ocean Springs is like a welcome home after driving all day. Biloxi casinos are right across the bay if you have the time and inclination.
Cambios is easy to find and, although perhaps a tad small, is well worth the wait. Have a crisp pumpkin ale or a glass of chardonnay while you wait. Or just cruise the pretty main street after leaving your name. Reservations might be best since this place is a true gem and bound to be crowded with repeat customers and newcomers alike. Cambios has made our seemingly interminable drive on I-10 far more rewarding.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

My wife & I had dinner with another couple on Saturday night 9/22. We were the last to be seated (every table was filled all night); we waited about 2 hours (we did not have a reservation, but will the next time). Cambios seats about 40 people with only a few tables for 4 (most are for 2), so we knew the wait would be long. The lady who is one of the owners was very gracious & accomodating throughout the evening, making several delays not unpleasant. She obviously cares a great deal & is determined to succeed.

Since you can bring your own wine (corkage fee of $5/bottle), a number of diners took a long, long time to go thru a LOT of their wine & linger.... & linger..... As a matter of principle, no one is rushed, but that extends delays for the seating of waiting customers. I hope Cambios - relatively new - works this out.....

Cambios was sometimes quite loud with the small room's acoustics bouncing various booming voices across all the tables, making conversation occasionally difficult. Another area for - hopefully - future improvement.....

Ignoring the noise, Cambios has lovely ambience with low background jazz music. Their menu is VERY ambitious, tempting you to look forward to several visits to explore the offerings. Our server was gracious, helpful & apologetic about the delays during the meal (one of the 4 chefs had had a sudden family emergency & was not there).

The chef's no-charge appetizer that started the meal was OK, but disappointing relative to our expectations; it was borderline mediocre.

We had 3 different appetizers that we shared at our table: the "Zombie Shrimp" was delicious, but the small "Ahi Tuna Ceviche Tacos" were uninteresting with taco wrappings that were doughy, and the pastry-wrapped duck confit was over-cooked. The fresh corn bread was quite good, but served without small plates that made dividing it among 4 & eating it messy.

Entrees were delicious, especially veal with excellent pasta & superb cream sauce that my wife & I shared (nicely divided for the 2 of us).

The 4 of us shared a "Banana Foster Creme Brulee" that was OK, but not quite as special as we had hoped. We skipped coffee, since Cambios did not have cappuccino.

Overall, we found Cambious generally quite good but struggling with start-up pains. We will go back.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

We had a nice dinner here. It's right in the heart of the charming old section of town and it fits right in. The atmosphere is nice, the room is softly lit, there are fresh flowers on the table, and jazz plays softly over the well-placed speaker system. The tables are well-appointed, the food is good, portions are fair sized, and prices are reasonable. The menu seems to change every few months, not "daily" as I had read elsewhere.

They do serve homemade sangria, but it is rather lame. Bring your own wine, which for some reason seems to be the trend in Ocean Springs. It will be a nice complement to *your* nice dinner.