“Turtle soup! Who new?!”

Nick's
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Loved this place on recent business trip to the area. Ordered turtle soup which was spicy and yummy. The wait staff seemed like they were going to be very attentive but their timing was off. When we wanted them to be there, they weren't. When we were deep in conversation...they appeared. They need to pay a little more attention to the customer. However, they had great attitudes since I was dining with a demanding business client. (ugh). The food was good...ordered ahi tuna salad...which was tasty. It is a little pricey but worth it. Classy place with great artwork-welcoming decor which is important. The music was a touch loud for conversation with 3 people. Yes, will visit this restaurant if return to Jackson.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Business lunch, took two out of staters. Nice atmosphere. Good crowd in the dining room and a good number of folks dining in the bar area. We all three had appetizers as our lunch...great salad, gumbo and spring rolls. Service was very good. Looks like Nick's is on the way back to its previous location excellence.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Prior experiences at Nick's were good, but we had not dined there in over a year and I think the chef and management may have changed. We took my sister, who was visiting from out of town, for lunch there and I was so disappointed/embarrassed. The place was almost empty for lunch and I can understand why. The service was mediocre, the food was bad and the prices too high.
My gumbo was almost inedible -- very watery and so salty I couldn't really taste anything in it.
My husband ordered the grits with his meal and they were very bland. Salads were skimpy in size. Will not go back. There are much better choices in town.

1  Thank lmdallas
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I've been a patron of Nick's for over 20 years; first at the Lakeland Dr. location and now at their Old Canton Rd. location. Nick's was our "go-to" place for a lovely lunch or special dinner. The last two visits, especially this most recent visit, have ended that.

I ate lunch with 2 other ladies. After being seated, we waited for 10 minutes for our server to arrive. This was consistent for the rest of our meal - when we finally placed our orders, we waited 45 minutes for our food. He came to our table, and sheepishly explained that our ticket had been lost - what did we order? Our food did come quickly, once our order was finally turned into the kitchen, but the food was not very good. Lukewarm soup, bland fish.

The music was BLARING in the restaurant - during our long wait for our food, one of my friends asked the manager to please turn the music down. She was flatly told NO, he would not do that. Rude, rude, rude.

I won't be back, ever, to Nick's. Such a shame, it used to be a great Jackson restaurant. No more....

1  Thank OleMiss91
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I went to Nick's to celebrate a co-workers birthday. We called earlier in the afternoon to inquire about exact location and to ask if we needed reservations. The person we spoke with gave us the location information, and said that we did not need reservations and we could come in anytime. When we arrived a few hours later we were asked if we had reservations and after saying no, we were very haughtily told that we would have to sit in the lounge because they did not have seating in the dining room for us. Our server arrived and while she was pleasant enough, she was not friendly or very helpful. When I asked about drink specials she said, "Uh, I can give you a drink menu." and walked away. I will note here that the cocktails were exceptional. We loved them. After about 25 minutes, she asked if we were ready to order. We were given no information about specials or any other info. We were rushed through ordering and had to call her back to make our appetizer order because she walked away so quickly. She game back to put our appetizer plates down - she set them out individually and I received mine last. As she put the plate in front of me, we (my group, and the server) all noticed that there was a spot of food stuck to my plate. The server then proceeded pick it up, scratch it off with her nail, and place it back down in front of me. Gross. Food wise - it was good. Our appetizers were great (crab artichoke dip, and southwestern oysters) and everyones meals were great except mine (sea scallops w/ parmesan risotto). While the food and drinks could make up for the poor service, it's a deal breaker for me.

1  Thank Amber M