“Good Catfish in an Old Building”
Review of Penn's

Penn's
Ranked #116 of 397 Restaurants in Jackson
Price range: US$12 - US$12
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 17 June 2015

Penns is a restaurant that has been around for a long time. The food is old style southern cooking. The speciality is catfish, but they have good fried chicken as well. There is a buffet available, but I usually order from the menu when I am in town visiting family. The food on the buffet is decent, but it's not set out in an appealing way. The wait staff are friendly and helpful and the price won't break the bank. The building is older and the floor is some kind of tile that always feels slick. Just don't expect a 5 star atmosphere if you come here for the catfish. It won't be the best meal you have ever had in your entire life, but if you are craving some good catfish this place will serve you well.

Reviewed 3 June 2015

I really like the food at Penn's, but sometimes their floor is oily and slippery. A friend who was dining with me slipped and fell there and while the staff there was wonderfully helpful, the owner was not as nice. I still go back but I wear shoes with non-slippery soles!!!

Reviewed 25 January 2015

thje sunday buffet ( Fried chicken) is the worst we have ever had. Presentation of everything on the buffet area looked old and put there with no pride. Fried chicken was really gross. We were not told that one can order fish as well as that would be what one would go for at a fish house. Food was very bland. Huss puppies were the only thinh worth eating. The lunch room and building is run down and dirty. Servers were constanly arguing with ine another for some reason.

1  Thank paragkarania
Reviewed 19 December 2014

After church we get to fellowship with folk we haven't seen in awhile. So, we ask where you going to get something to eat? Well, the usual happens, what you got a taste for? Well, I don't know! Well, we go to Penn's, the best budget for your money on the menu! The catfish filets were fried to perfection and the sides were great. If you are serving your higher power and need a place that you can afford after tithes and offerings. Penn's is where you need to be!

Reviewed 10 September 2014

We had lunch here today. We had the buffet as we were in a hurry. The vegetables were very bland particularly the mashed potatoes and gravy it reminded me of food from a nursing home. The catfish was excellent but it was the only seafood on the buffet. The restraunt was so crowded and poorly laid out with tables so close together and cramped. I felt claustrophobic in there as someone was always waiting to walk around you or up had to climb around the tables and people in chairs. There was also this strong catfish mixed with cleaner smell that was off putting. The chocolate pie was very good. It's a real toss up on weighing the pros and cons.

1  Thank mary s