“Dinner for Eight”

The Chimneys
Ranked #2 of 274 Restaurants in Gulfport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Recently re-opened, destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. Fine Dining.
Reviewed 23 June 2018

Eight of us recently had supper there. We were all impressed with the food, drinks, and service as usual. We went there to dine, not eat , and had our usual good time.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

We stopped here while travelling because I wanted gumbo, and my wife sought out the best place on our route during the lunch hour on this leg of the trip. The experience was more than we'd hoped.

This old beachfront property must have suffered horribly from hurricane Katrina, but it's all the way back even though there's a lot of vacant properties around it. We were escorted through to a table in their formal dining room--and when I say formal, I mean fresh white tablecloths, real linen, no TV. You also have the option of deating on their veranda, and we opted not to because it was a warm day--though on retrospect I wonder if the sea breeze would have made it comfy, since they're right on the gulf shore--and they're grandfathered in to ownership of the beach directly across the road, so they own it right to the waterfront.

Our affable server quickly negotiated my beer (the first choice had run out, so I got a NOLA hopitoulas IPA, good to go local) and my wife's iced tea. She opted for the shrimp po' boy, which she thought was a little upscale compared to the po' boys of her memory. I got a cup of the gumbo; this is a black roux gumbo which generally does not included tomato or okra or file powder--this had rice, amall shrimp, and gulf crab claws. While I have decided I like the more traditional okra-tomato gumbo better, this was tasty and I appreciate the education. I rounded out my lunch with garlic-butter sauteed crab claws--the little claws come with the pointy thumb part of the claw holding the main claw meat on a sliver of cartilidge, so you pick up the point and strip the meat with your teeth--it was necessary to do that with the claws in the gumbo as well. The garlic butter claws were delicious, the portion was generous,

We finished up with cups of coffee, and theirs is excellent.

While this location doesn't demand full formal attire, it maintains an air of southern class. It was neat to share the space with a long table of women sharing a ladies' lunch with a complete layer cake on a pedestal at their table. Tourists in shorts alternated tables with men in business suits. And after lunch we were free to stroll out on the white sand beach (kept impeccable by the wise local ordinances) and dipped our toes in the Gulf of Mexico. Can't imagine a better lunch break.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

The staff at the restaurant are amazing. They are extremely accommodating and gave us a wonderful experience. The portions are good. I recommend the crab cakes, Tuna steak, and the gumbo. They also have a killer Sunday brunch as well as lunch.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

I took my mother here for Mother’s Day and it was wonderful. The views of the beach and old oaks are nice. I loved that it is in an old Victorian home with a porch if you wanted outdoor seating. We had complementary mimosas. The food was really good. I had the shrimp and my mother had the steak. We also tried the red velvet cake and key lime pie all very good! Our waitress was really good even through it was crowded. We had reservations which helped with wait times. Our overall experience was great. Thank you!!

1  Thank Tina M
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

I had the speckled trout with lump crabmeat, shrimp, and a good sauce. It was very good. All of the food was very tasty. However, even though it was early evening, they ran out of some salad dressings and one of their featured sides. The dining room is very nice and the service was good. If we lived there, we would definitely go again as I would expect the shortage problem was a rare occasion.

1  Thank slhokie

Been to The Chimneys? Share your experiences!