“Local”

The Hill Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 May 2018

We love the banana leaf chicken, but they only do this dine in. Otherwise Hill Thai is our go to for quiet family dinners or take out.
Massaman beef wasn't as good as I have had before, but rice, curry and stir fry dishes are consistently good.
Prices have increased a little and pretty sure they have changed hands.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

We haven't been there for a while and was mildly surprised to find that the decor had been upgraded which gave the restaurant some Thai charm. The food/meals were excellent although somewhat more of a costing - a few $'s average about $3 above what a more classy restaurant in this area and Castle Hill + surrounds would charge. The prawn pad Thai was $20.90 along with the mango duck. We also found that the menu list had prices slightly cheaper then what was charged inside so not consistent. Service was poor as we hadn't finished in reading the inside menu and was asked 3 times what did we want to order and the place was not busy. We felt that we were being badly rushed to choose.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

It's easy to miss this place. Indeed, it was only a recommendation from friends that led us here in the first place. A hundred cars on Pennant Hills Road fly past the doors every minute, and you'd never notice this place exists. Parking in the West Pennant Hills Coles car park is a breeze, so this place is easy to get to, once you know it's there.

Walking into the restaurant, the lighting is fairly subdued, but not dark by any stretch. The noise from Pennant Hills Road is well isolated, making the restaurant fairly quiet, apart from the noisy kitchen (which is a sound that I don't mind).

The staff were very friendly, finishing off a great overall atmosphere. Our toddler was being babysat giving my wife and I a rare night off, so we were very happy with the overall dining experience; cosy but comfortable.

We had heard a lot about the signature dishes, so that's what we went with. The hype was correct; those dishes are amazing. The Banana Leaf chicken salad was probably the highlight (particularly for my wife), although I was partial to the pork belly. The Betal Leaf Prawn entree was also delicious, delivering a gorgeous combination of flavours in a bite size package.

Signature dishes come with a signature price tag, so this wasn't a cheap night for us... close to $80 for the two of us, but we deliberately over-ordered to sample a good range, and we were able to take plenty of food home with us (which our teenage boys sniffed out, and inhaled in no time).

In terms of value for money, it's probably on par with other Thai restaurants in the Hills, which means it's not particularly great value for money. However, we will be a bit more controlled with what we order on our next visit. In any case, I had no complaints about the serving sizes.

We'll be back, the next time we want a great tasting Thai meal. And it won't be too long between visits!

Reviewed 30 September 2017

Service is friendly and efficient but it's the food that stars. I rate this the best suburban Thai food that I can remember and I've had a lot. Betel leaves and pepper berries feature in much more expensive restaurants than Hill Thai. When you consider that it is not licensed a meal at Hill Thai is both delicious and inexpensive. I just hope that all the great reviews don't make the place much harder to get in to!

Reviewed 5 March 2017

Food generally ok but nothing to write home about. In my opinion the vegetables are too coarsely cut - probably to save time. Not inclined to go back. Not exactly packed out at dinner time.