“It is a bit expensive, but great food and great service!”

Gianni's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Gianni's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 47 Restaurants in Wayzata
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 17 July 2017

We had a wonderful meal on July 11th 2017. We had a party of 5 and we were seated within a few minutes of arriving, and our server was friendly and knowledgeable. We started with the Seafood Tower and it was better than described. (More of each item) The ladies all had the spun salad which was a fun course and it was very good. I had the 16 oz NY Strip RARE and it was cooked exactly that way. It was worth the $50 price tag. My wife had the 9 oz filet and she loved it. My 17 year old daughter had the lobster tail (her usual) and she too was very pleased. We did order a bottle of red wine that we all enjoyed (except my daughter!) My mother-in-law had the pork and she normally likes things well done, but this was juicy and she really liked it. my father-in-law had the seafood Louie and he loved that too. As I said we had a wonderful meal. We did tell the owner of our last experience there, about three years ago, in which we had to wait for over 30 minutes for our table. She said they had been really working on it and it showed. We also told the server that it was our 25 wedding anniversary. I'm not sure which one, or both, caused her to do it, but she gave us a 2nd bottle of wine on the house. All in all, a great dinner. We will be back before three years!

Reviewed 2 July 2017

Loved sitting at the bar for happy hour and being served by a friendly and very good bartender, Derrick. The cocktail list is very interesting and not what you would find in most bars. We had the steak skewers and the beef was so tender we had nother order. It's such a pretty bar area and busy on a Saturday afternoon...great vibe and nice customers too.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

Giannis has a great atmosphere inside and is nice to sit outside during the warm summer month.

The wait staff is very attentive, especially John. He has been there for many years!

From the bar menu to the regular dinner menu, the food is excellent. Our family especially loves the "spun salad" with the variety of toppings and their one Caesar salad dressing it is a nice way to start your meal. The steaks and salmon are all wonderful, but be sure to save room for the desserts.

Reviewed 11 June 2017

I make a point of enjoying the sidewalk cafe atmosphere of Gianni's every year when I come through Minneapolis. The venue has an abundance of charm on a warm evening and the libation service has been excellent as has been my favorite Porterhouse steak That I have enjoyed since my first visit some years ago. This year the reservation service worked just fine and a suitable table for two was available albeit without shade from the intense afternoon sun, but that was only temporary.

My favorite Porterhouse shows up on one online menu, but not another. On the Gianni's website, it says, "Over the years, Gianni’s has earned a reputation for its juicy 22-ounce porterhouse . . ." The reality is that it is gone from the active menu. I asked the server about when it was removed and she said the T-Bone was the same as the Porterhouse.- that, of course is Bull Pucky or ignorance and I am not receptive to either one under those circumstances.

My dining partner ordered the filet and sautéed mushrooms. I opted for the French Onion soup, the T-Bone blue rare with Blue Cheese sauce and sautéed mushrooms - pretty straightforward. Bread pieces were available and we accepted.

Contrary to my specific request, the soup came before my cocktail was complete - I sent it back to be kept warm. When I finished my cocktail ,I asked for my soup. Shortly thereafter, my companion's filet came with her order of mushrooms, her complete order. Her filet was perfectly to her taste and she said the mushrooms were tasty as was the signature roasted garlic pod.

I finished my soup expecting my T-Bone shortly. After some time, I caught the attention of our server who asked, "are you ready to have me order your steak?" My companion was nearly finished with her meal. Was I being punished for sending the premature delivery of the soup the first time? The bread ran out and I asked for more - it never came.

When the T-Bone finally arrived, my companion had already finished her meal. The Blue Cheese sauce was quite tasty, but my sautéed the mushrooms did not appear nor did our server for some time, so I began to eat my T-Bone. It was done just the way I wanted it. The challenge was that it was so tough and full of gristle that over one-third of it was inedible and defied chewing. After a prolonged absence, our server appeared again within view and hailing distance. I inquired about my missing sautéed mushrooms. She said, "I thought you only wanted one order." My dining companion remembered as I did that I was explicit about each of us having an order of sautéed mushrooms. Finally, the sautéed mushrooms appeared and were delicious, but the bread never did appear.

I finished my dinner leaving a rather large pile of unchewable gristle on my plate. No Porterhouse was a disappointment. The server's suggestion that a T-Bone was an equivalent was as unacceptable as the T-Bone that was served.

I have no problem with paying the establishment price for a premium cut of meat or any other dish, but I do expect a quid pro quo quality in return - in this case, it did not happen, in spades.

I do not like to write a bad review, but I will do so when it is warranted - this time, IMHO, it was unquestionably warranted.

2  Thank CamanoCarl
Reviewed 4 June 2017

OUR DINNER HERE WAS OUTSTANDING - the Rack of LAMB was delicious.
The hash brown potatoes are sooo good. Portions are generous.

Our waiter was fabulous - he made our graduation celebration extra enjoyable.
LARRY WAS OUR WAITER.