“Underwhelming to say the least”
Review of Fish Out of Water

Fish Out of Water
Ranked #15 of 31 Restaurants in Hyde Park
Reviewed 30 November 2017

Living pretty close by, I had been wanting to try FOOW and had had a few people recommend it, but after my first experience, it's likely going to be the first and last experience.

My only time in there previously had been to offer lemons from our tree which was producing so many I couldn't cope. The owner I presume, took several bags quite happily and I was glad they weren't going to go to waste. Last night, it was quite busy, and whilst waiting, I decided to add a sauce to the order, paying with change. The server made the comment that she needed more if I had any, so I dug around in my bag and came up with $4.90 - which she then basically refused because I was 10c short of $5 (I felt like mentioning the several bags of free lemons which were definitely worth more than 10c - but didn't, deciding that she'd clearly made her choice, manage with no change, or be 10c under...!).

Anyway, after waiting 15 minutes or so, we got our food, raced home in the pouring rain, opened it up to have a completely incorrect order. Went back and had to wait another 15 minutes or so for the correct order which once opened was exceptionally disappointing. How can you say barely 50g of fish is a "serve"?? I'd ordered a serve of grilled whiting, a serve of grilled garfish, small sweet potato fries and a large salad - what we got was more what I would call sweet potato fries with a small side of fish. It tasted nice, but certainly wasn't worth the wait, and had I been aware of the "serving" size and ordered more, it wouldn't have been worth the $50 odd it would have then cost.

Reviewed 14 June 2017

Ordered from here previously and enjoyed it but this recent experience on the long weekend was extremely disappointing. Signature dish of grilled salmon was just the salmon for the price it should have included chips or salad. Over priced and average taste

Christine R, Owner at Fish Out of Water, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Hi, I am sorry you were disappointed in the meal you received from us over the recent long weekend. Our portion of Atlantic Salmon is a 180gm which is char grilled and served with a mustard dill sauce for $14.90. We feel is quite a reasonable in price.

Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

Thank you Google for leading me to the Fish Out Of Water (FOOW)!
It's been a fair while since I've been able to get a feed of battered fish and chips since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease. When I can find a GF takeaway shop that does do the GF meals I'll make the extra effort to travel and get good food, and the FOOW delivered for me!

Reviewed 17 March 2017

A friend had mentioned Fish out of Water on FB, and i was keen to give it a try. Excellent range of salads to go with lovely fish. Delightful staff.

Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

One of the best fish shops in the area. With a wide variety of fish/seafood and other choices, this 'chippy' also offers excellent salads and combinations.
There is an indoor eating area but it is usually taken up by the numerous takeaway customers waiting for their hot packages to take home.