“South of the River Gem”

Flavor at the Depot
Ranked #2 of 53 Restaurants in Savage
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 20 April 2016

I just love this family run restaurant. I have been here many times for breakfast, lunch and dinner and finally getting around to writing a review. They have the best muffins (blueberry and rhubarb) I've EVER had - they are huge, moist, very cake-like. Wonderful scones and an amazing breakfast menu all the way around. The lunch and dinner menus are also fantastic. The Kelly Burger is a favorite of mine (and many of my friends) - it is a new take on a mushroom burger. Instead of using a big slice of a portobello, they chop up the mushrooms, mix it with herbs and cream cheese and make a patty on a buttery, crisp brioche type bun. It is absolutely delicious and not to be missed. The corned beef is amazing as well and has a homemade hot mustard. I think the basic sandwiches are just ok. Desserts are always solid - I am patiently waiting for the return of the seasonal custard rhubarb pie :). Atmosphere is great - small place but there is more seating than you would think. Live music on some weekends. I am so glad this historic building has finally found a restaurant that will be here for a good long time! South of the river is lacking in great, non-chain type restaurants. Stop in and visit the Depot. You won't be disappointed.

2  Thank Kristin K

Reviewed 16 March 2016

great atmosphere,live acoustic music fabulous staff fresh homemade muffins,cakes desert,
dont pass up the homemade pastrami,corned beef

1  Thank gardenguymn
Reviewed 21 February 2016 via mobile

We've lived two blocks from this place for 2 years and for some reason never checked it out. Finally went there for breakfast yesterday and realized we wasted two years of our lives. Super cozy place, super awesome gravy biscuit thing (my wife loved the breakfast croissant sandwich). Prices are absolutely normal. The owners are simple and great folks. Can't wait for the summer to sit on their open door patio and sip a glass of wine. Will most likely go there for dinner soon.

2  Thank Travolo
Reviewed 13 February 2016

My husband and I were hungry for breakfast, so googled "best breakfast in Burnsville" and "YELP" brought up this restaurant. Oh my, I wish we lived closer to try much more of their food! The restaurant is in an old depot, so it's cool that way. We were told the food is fresh and made on site. I had "The Amazing Biscuits & Gravy” and my husband had the “Mexican Scramble.” They were both so good! The biscuits, even though were covered with a meat gravy, still had a bit of a crunch they were so fresh. It's easy to get to, the owner (I assume) and wait staff were very personable. The restaurant is small, so I don’t know if they take reservations or if there is a long wait at busy times. We will definitely be back. Check out their website and view their menus. And they cater!

1  Thank jah77
Reviewed 14 November 2015

I had lunch at the depot with a friend. I ordered the meatloaf sandwich and was very disappointed. It was extremely dry,tough, definitely not fresh, and like a pressed meat sandwich. Prices were high for a lunch sandwich. A disappointment. Maybe breakfast would have been better.