“Cecil's is a MUST when we are in town”

Cecil's Delicatessen & Bakery
Ranked #14 of 928 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

The Turkey Reuben is amazing. I love the dark rye. Service was quick and our waiter was accurate and friendly while serving our party of 6. The menu is huge. My husband got the French Toast turkey club- very inventive and delicious. I got the pasta salad as my side however their potato salad is the best. Eating at or from Cecil's is a family tradition for my husband, as he grew up in St. Paul. And after eating there, I can see why! Enjoy!

Reviewed 6 September 2017

My husband and I moved from MN 9 years ago and just got back for a visit and this was the top of our list to eat. We love the traditional Reuben they serve here and I love the coleslaw. So happy to taste it again!

Reviewed 19 August 2017

I love calling and getting the Nosher to go. It's delicious, I also get the potato salad and the pickle.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

It is interesting how many people highly rate Cecil's. I have been there several times and we have had their box lunches a few times -- we live nearby.

For me, it is just okay, good, but nothing to go out of the way for. I must admit that I am comparing this to a deli in Shorewood/ Milwaukee that handled the same types of food. When you ordered corn beef, the man would pull out the slab of meat from the simmering water and slice by hand.

They do have good bread but you can pretty much get most of what they offer at the supermarket down the street. With that said, I am a small-business shopper, so I hope the place continues. Still, it is not special enough for me to go there with any frequency.

1  Thank jeffo442
Reviewed 28 July 2017

We visited on Friday, July 28, 2017 around noon. We were seated promptly.

I ordered their "famous" reuben sandwich with potato salad as my side. My wife ordered a turkey sandwich with American cheese. We also had two soft drinks.

Service was just ok. The food, however, was poorly prepared. I could not detect any Swiss cheese on my reuben and their special sauce was non existent. The sandwich was overpowered and over stuffed with sauerkraut. The sauerkraut to beef ratio was about 4:1. The bread was not grilled for very long as there was no crisp texture to the sandwich. The side of potato salad wad prepared with so much mustard and onion making it so sour that it was inedible. One bite and done.

The turkey sandwich was to be prepared with American cheese. The cheese was orange but it did not taste like American. More of a colored Havarti flavor. They brag about their quarter pound of meat on their sandwiches but there was perhaps less than 2 ounces of turkey at the most.

The food was overpriced and simply did not taste good. We have no reason to ever return.

4  Thank Steve0315